VMware Cloud Community
mstar2
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere client 6.0 going to internet

Hello everyone , i have a problem with vsphere client 6.0 or vCenter 6.0.

The situation are :

vCenter was updated from 5.5 to 6.0.

I have many networks in my environment .

All networks with internet access, everything  working great .

Some networks with no access to internet ,(firewall denied ) , vsphere client trying to go to akamai vmware cloud probably for some update and not going directly to vCenter server. It cause time out  and client disconnected, after couple of tries vsphere client finally success to connect to vCenter server but everything works extremely slowwwww.

Maybe any one knows how i can disable vSphere client from checking for updates from the internet each time it start ???

0 Kudos
15 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please download vSphere Client using following method.

open a web browser, and enter https://<your vc 6 host name or IP>

when page comes up, find 'download vSphere client' link and download it using that link.

Install it on your machine and then try to use that to connect with your VCetner server.

Note: Alternatively use web client, quite handy with vCenter 6.

all you got to do is

https://<vc host name/ ip address>/vsphere-client

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

Avoid Web-Client at all costs! It is better in vSphere 6, but still based on Flash and basically unusable in real production!

Use the method described above by npadmani:

"open a web browser, and enter https://<your vc 6 host name or IP>

when page comes up, find 'download vSphere client' link and download it using that link."

Or go to your "My VMware" portal and locate the vSphere Client for Windows in vSphere downloads.

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VI Client will connect to the internet for a few things.

Most notably for verifying certificates, like the certificate that is installed on your hosts.

This is standard windows behavior and can be tweaked.

For details see:

How Certificate Revocation Works

Edit: FWIW I doubt that this is actually what is causing your slow downs. I would suspect things like a DNS server, but the best way to figure out is by using a network sniffer. Also afaik there is no update mechanism in VI Client that checks on the internet for updates.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mstar2
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing help .

vSphere client still attempting to go to internet , i also did a clear test ( vc 6.0 appliance clean install , vm from scratch clear install, both in the same subnet network with no firewall between them ) and still vSphere client trying to go to the internet but my environment forbid this network from internet . So i receive client error : "The request failed because  the remote server took too long to respond , The operation has timed out "

I don't know maybe vmware do some changes in vsphere 6.0 and from now i need to open connectivity to their  AKAMAI updates cloud ????

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have the firewall logs to show the denied connections ?

I just tried this by removing the gateway from my machine so no internet access and I can still connect correctly to VCenter via the web client.

R

0 Kudos
mstar2
Contributor
Contributor

HI RichardBush .

I cannot to remove gateway because default gateway is a firewall .

vCenter and client on different networks .

Also tried to put client on the same network with vcenter just for test and  the client also going to the internet .

ON firewall i see only blocks when client trying  to go to the internet because it is forbidden with firewall policy rules.

Web client working good.

It looks like vsphere client trying to update himself each time i open vsphere client .

Very strange issue.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌Per the gateway, I am saying I tried this and had no issues connecting with out Internet access. All on my ESX hosts and Vsphere servers, including the machine I run the C host client from don't have internet access and don't have issues connecting.

If you move the client machine to the same network as the hosts, remove its internet access (by removing the gateway or other means) do you still have the issue ? Do you have firewall rules between the networks ?

I Would be very surprised to find that if the client couldn't connect to the Internet it would fail, it's rare to find enterprise networks that allow direct Internet access now a days.

RIch

0 Kudos
mstar2
Contributor
Contributor

Could this be an issue because of my vCenter already 6.0 and my hosts are 5.5 ???

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I think something else is going on.

Have you tried connecting from your VI client by IP address instead of via DNS name?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mstar2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes also dns and ip .

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you gather up the client logs and attach them to a post ?

Honestly I feel this is more likely a network issue between the VI Client and VCenter server or hosts.

R

0 Kudos
Robert901
Contributor
Contributor

I would upgrade the hosts to 6.0 as well.  Even thought this may not be the direct root cause of your problem, it MIGHT prevent problems on down the road. !

0 Kudos
ucsc-vmteam
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi upgrade would have nothing to do with vSphere C# client network communication.

0 Kudos
ucsc-vmteam
Contributor
Contributor

If you can, start a ticket directly with VMware support. This seems unacceptable to require internet access from any vsphere c# 6.0 client, especially something as changeable as akamai's content distribution network.

0 Kudos
ChicaneUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did anything ever happen with this? Did you get a workaround from VMware? Having the same problem with vSphere 6.0 client... 5.5 does not exhibit this behaviour. Thanks.

0 Kudos