VMware Cloud Community
maleitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Update Manager install confusion

I am finally getting around to installing vCenter Update Manger for our 4.1 vSphere environment but I am having a nightmare of a time getting it installed.  Vcenter is installed on a Windows 2008 R2 64-bit server, my SQL box is MS SQL 2005 installed on an old Windows 2003 64-bit server.

Have gone in several circles between SQL 32-bit DSN's, 64-bit ODBC drivers, and the download service not allowed to be installed on same server as Update Manager.  When running the install on my vCenter server I get the following message:

The vCenter Server is incompatible with the VMware vCenter Update Manager you are installing.  Please select a compatible vCenter Server.

At this point I don't even really care if I get it talking to our SQL server or not.  I just want the software installed.  If anyone knows what the magic combination is to get everything going I would really appreciate the info.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

hope the vCenter server version installed in 4.1. In that case if the version of Update manager 4.1 has to be installed with out any hassles. If the vCeneter Server is 4.1 and Update manager 41U1/U2, then installation will fail with the error mentioned. 41U1 is not comaptible with 41 VC. Please refert the software compatability guide. http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

hope the vCenter server version installed in 4.1. In that case if the version of Update manager 4.1 has to be installed with out any hassles. If the vCeneter Server is 4.1 and Update manager 41U1/U2, then installation will fail with the error mentioned. 41U1 is not comaptible with 41 VC. Please refert the software compatability guide. http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
maleitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That was 100% the problem.  I am such a fool; I was attempting to install vum 4.1 U2 with plain vcenter 4.1 version.  Thanks for saving me a bunch of wasted hours.

0 Kudos