VMware Cloud Community
nettech1
Expert
Expert

iscsi perfomance

I have a Dell MD3000i with 5 SATA drives (RAID5) connected to a Dell 5424 switch.

ESXi 5.5 has two nics connected to the same switch for iscsi traffic.

The set up as follows:

MD3000i

RAID Controller 0,0 - 192.168.1.1 (Jumbo Frames set to 9000)

RAID Controller 0,1 - 192.168.2.1 (Jumbo Frames set to 9000)

RAID Controller 1,0 - 192.168.1.2 (Jumbo Frames set to 9000)

RAID Controller 1,1 - 192.168.2.2 (Jumbo Frames set to 9000)

Dell switch 5424 has jumbo frames enabled

ESXi has two vmkernal ports (1 for each nic) 192.168.1.10 & 192.168.2.10 and jumbo frames are set to 9000 on both.

when I read data (copy a 4GB file to a VM hosted on local storage of ESX) I get a steady 50MB/s transfer, but when I try to save something on SAN (copy the same 4GB file from desktop of a VM using local storage to SAN) the transfer starts at 270MB/s drops to a 0 somewhere in the middle and then flattens out at 50MB/s

Any ideas what could cause such a sporadic transfer rates?

Thanks

Tags (4)
32 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander

The driver will update all network cards that have the chipset models it covers, so unforantly there isn't anyway to specify nice like in Windows, to my knowledge.

I also found this: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=208202...

which is a recent KB, not sure if it is applicible to you or not.  An easy way to test this is if you can get your hands on a Intel dual port nic that is on Vmware HCL and put that into the host, then just createa  new vSwitch/Portgroup then move the VM to this port group and see what the speeds are.   You could even try it with a different broadcom card if you have, however i've had a few quarky issues with the broadcom cards over the years.

I was also thinking about this one a little more, all your cables that are connected to that broadcom are tested GOOD and are cat5e or higher?

0 Kudos
nettech1
Expert
Expert

All cables are tested good (cat5e 350mhz)

found a newer driver (3.136e.v55.1)

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?productId=353&downloadGroup=DT-ESXI55-BROADCOM-TG3-3136EV...

will try tonight

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Sounds good.  Let us know how it goes

0 Kudos
nettech1
Expert
Expert

before

untitled.JPG

after

nd.JPG

from MD3000 to MD3000 file transfer still chokes

noimp.JPG

0 Kudos
nettech1
Expert
Expert

we see an improvement from MD3000 to local storage

ls.JPG

writing back to MD3000 still suffers.

suffer.JPG

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

what status have your cache in storage?

See on Subsystem Profile - Logical Drives,

should there be this:

Write cache                             - Enabled

Write cache without batteries    - Enabled

Write cache with mirroring         - Enabled

nettech1
Expert
Expert

Number of standard virtual disks: 1

See other Virtual Disks sub-tabs for premium feature information.

NAME     STATUS   CAPACITY  RAID LEVEL  DISK GROUP  DRIVE TYPE  

san  Optimal  1.817 TB  5           san1    SATA        

DETAILS

Virtual Disk name:                      san1                                          

Virtual Disk status:                 Optimal                                          

Capacity:                            1.817 TB                                         

Virtual Disk world-wide identifier:  60:02:6b:90:00:2d:fc:04:00:00:01:f8:53:bd:1e:64  

Subsystem ID (SSID):                 0                                                

Associated disk group:               GR1                                         

RAID level:                          5                                                

Physical Disk type:                  Serial ATA (SATA)                                

Enclosure loss protection:           No                                               

Preferred owner:                     RAID Controller Module in slot 0                 

Current owner:                       RAID Controller Module in slot 0                 

Segment size:                                       128 KB    

Capacity reserved for future segment size changes:  Yes       

Maximum future segment size:                        2,048 KB  

Modification priority:                              High      

Read cache:                            Enabled   

Write cache:                           Enabled   

Write cache without batteries:      Disabled  

Write cache with mirroring:         Enabled   

Flush write cache after (in seconds):  10.00     

Dynamic cache read prefetch:           Enabled   

Enable background media scan:          Enabled   

Media scan with consistency check:     Enabled   

Pre-Read consistency check:            Disabled  

0 Kudos
nettech1
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hmmm looks like lots of other people have had performance issues with the MD3000i.  Not sure what your next course of action is as everything on the ESXi side looks good.  Don't suppose you have a support contract with dell on this MD3000i still do you?>

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

The MDs performance rely heavily on the cache setting.

I managed to increase performance on some MD3260s with the right cache settings. Play with the settings. Everything on is not always good.

The cache mirroring for example will decrease performance.

Also increasing the cache block size worked wonders.

0 Kudos
nettech1
Expert
Expert

MD3000i is still under support contract with Dell, opening a case with them to see what they can suggest to increase write performance.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Nice, let us know if they find a resolution for you or what they have to say.

0 Kudos