VMware Cloud Community
rz1
Contributor
Contributor

hp ilo2 serial console and esxi 5.1

Hello all,

I'm trying to setup a serial console connection to an ESXi 5.1 host.  The server is a HP DL380 G6.   Through the Remote Serial Console within the ILO2, I'm able to see the ESXi 5.1 yellow and black console screen.  I'm able to hit F2, login, and interact with the various configuration menus.  What I can't figure out, is how to hit Alt-F1 to get an ESXi shell.

The ESXi Shell is enabled.

I've tried setting up Alt-F1 as a hot-key in the ILO2 Remote Console Hot Key settings.  In fact, I've tried with L_Alt, R_Alt, ESC + Alt, etc, etc.

I've also tried various key combinations, but nothing works.  It seems like it's ignoring the Alt key altogether.

We're not licensed for the Integrated Remote Console, so we're using the Virtual Serial Port.

Any help or hints would be appreciated!

Thanks...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

hmm..

I am not sure you can get into a shell from there.

I believe its the same text based dcui that you can run via ssh so you might not be able to do that.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
nive1103
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You should be able to operate DCUI (Alt + F2). You will get this by default.

In addition to this, if you enable SSH from your esxi configuration, you can login to

local shell - Alt + F1

banner - Alt + F11

realtime vmkernel logs - Alt + F12

You dont need additional iLO license for this...

Regards, Nivedan
0 Kudos
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Please find details .

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vcli.migration.doc_50%2Fcos_upgrade_...

"a journey of a thousand miles starts    with a single step."
0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We're not licensed for the Integrated Remote Console, so we're using the Virtual Serial Port.

I think the definition of serial console from a HP VSP and the console of ESXi 5.1 differ.

From the HP VSP, you can get the logging from the ESXi server. [Quite an exhaustive logging] but you will not be able to issue commands from the VSP to the ESXi server. However, you can configure the HP system using the VSP.

For the console port in ESXi, I believe the above comments might suffice. Even on more requirement,

1. Press F2 in the yellow+black screen [DCUI]

2. Select Troubleshooting options.

3. Enable Local SSH and SSH options.

4. Open putty or any ssh client you wish to login to the server.

Or.

5. Open the Server by vSphere Client and select the Configuration>Security Profile>Properties.

6. Check SSH client and server.

You are good to go.

0 Kudos