VMware Cloud Community
opinder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

chart advanced options in Vsphere

Hi

When we have to check the performance of any of the components in vsphere, there is a option to select 0 and/or vm name in the objects box.Can anyone explain what is the difference between them.

Regards,

Opinder.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I have a VM with 2vcpus and I select 0, will that show stats for vcpu1 or vcpu2??

In the computer world some genius (yes I am being sarcastic) years ago thought it was a good idea to use binary values, so 0 is first, then 1..etc. Rather than using logical values that humans use.. (novel concept) because apparently they thought it would be easier for programming reasons.

So yes 0 is vCPU1 1 is vCPU2 etc..

I create a VM with 4vcpus.Does it become like 0,1,2 and then vm name??

yes, you got it.

I created 2 vcpu vm.Please clarify.

If you added a second vCPU it should show 0,1, vmname.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have 2 CPU one is 0 the other is the VM as a whole using the name of the VM.

So if you want to JUST see a single component like 1 of 2 vCPU for instance you can select just 0 or if you want to see how the whole VM performs you use the name.

0 Kudos
opinder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I have a VM with 2vcpus and I select 0, will that show stats for vcpu1 or vcpu2?? Does that count increase if I create a VM with 4vcpus.Does it become like 0,1,2 and then vm name??.I created 1 Vm with 1 vcpu and options were 0 and vm name and that was same when I created 2 vcpu vm.Please clarify.

Regards,

Opinder.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I have a VM with 2vcpus and I select 0, will that show stats for vcpu1 or vcpu2??

In the computer world some genius (yes I am being sarcastic) years ago thought it was a good idea to use binary values, so 0 is first, then 1..etc. Rather than using logical values that humans use.. (novel concept) because apparently they thought it would be easier for programming reasons.

So yes 0 is vCPU1 1 is vCPU2 etc..

I create a VM with 4vcpus.Does it become like 0,1,2 and then vm name??

yes, you got it.

I created 2 vcpu vm.Please clarify.

If you added a second vCPU it should show 0,1, vmname.

0 Kudos
opinder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems I have understood theory but I need to try it practically and I 'll confirm it then.

thanks and regards,

Opinder.

0 Kudos