VMware Cloud Community
bcvic
Contributor
Contributor

Wake-on-LAN (WOL) on Vmware ESXi 8.0U2 does not work

Hi,

I cannot resolve this issue and I would appreciate your help. I have installed ESXi 8.0U2, I have 2 NICs, Intel I340-T4 and I225-V, both NICs available in the host and show "Wake-on-LAN Support" - Yes, "Auto-negotiate support" - Yes, "Auto-negotiate enabled" - Enabled.

esxcli network nic get -n vmnic0 | grep Wakeon
Supports Wakeon: true
Wakeon: MagicPacket(tm)

esxcli network nic get -n vmnic4 | grep Wakeon
Supports Wakeon: true
Wakeon: MagicPacket(tm)

WOL just cannot turn the host on. All settings in the BIOS are set for WOL. I installed a SSD drive with Windows 11 Pro just to check the WOL and it worked with both NICs. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
bcvic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thank you for sending the link but my case is a different one. In my case WOL is enabled in the BIOS and in the NICs, it has been proven that WOL works with Windows 11 Pro, and WOL cannot turn the ESXi on. To send the WOL magic packets I use the WakeMeOnLan app and also my router, which has that option. Using both methods, WOL cannot turn the ESXi host on but they can turn on Windows 11 Pro.

0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
bcvic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for sending the link but this isn't my case. I don't have Intel NUC and I have done all the troubleshooting pointed out there. As I explained in my Questions, I have 2 NICs installed, all set up for WOL in the host, BIOS is set up for WOL...WOL works on Windows OS but not in ESXi.

0 Kudos
bcvic
Contributor
Contributor

Any suggestions, please? The proposed links were not helpful in fixing the issue. Thank you

0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

- Provide os version 
- NiC model and firmware version
- Provide a screen capture of the 'Secondary Power Settings' i.e. WOL

0 Kudos
bcvic
Contributor
Contributor

@mhb4everHi, Thank you very much for getting back to me. Here is the info requested:

VMware ESXi 8.0U2 build-22380479

NICs:

Intel I340-T4:

Driver: igbn

Firmware Version: 3.19.0:0x0001619f

Version: 1.4.11.7

Intel I225-V:

Driver: cndi_igc

Firmware Version: 1.73, 0x800001f7

Version: 1.2.10.0

Please let me know if I need to provide more info. Thank you

0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry to tell you

The I340 adapter is end of product life in 2015 year.

ACPI WOL (wake on LAN) is not available in Windows2012R2 , Windows2016, and some OS

but can wake the system under other Linux OS.

0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos