VMware Cloud Community
decode7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware ESXI software RAID?

Hello,

I tried to install it on our server with 2 HDD which were using software RAID, but we failed. Is VMware ESXI 5.5.0 supporting software RAID?

Thank you,
Anti

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OMG, not again! Zillion times it has been posted here: ESXI does NOT support software-/bios-/fake-raid...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OMG, not again! Zillion times it has been posted here: ESXI does NOT support software-/bios-/fake-raid...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
decode7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.

I currently installed ESXI on the first HDD, is there a way to use the second HDD for data storage?

Thank you,
Anti

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Of course, you can format it as datastore, and use it (i.e. for your VMs). For testing it is good. But for serious deployment I'd recommend to get some true hardware raid-controller...

0 Kudos
decode7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you tell me how to format as datastore suitable for VMware ESXI?

0 Kudos
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

See the documentation center.

VMware vSphere 5.1

0 Kudos