VMware Cloud Community
BeastMode
Contributor
Contributor

VMs drop off network

I'm having a few issues and I was hoping someone could help. I have a cluster of four ESX 4.1 hosts. Each host has dual physical NICs. I've assigned each host's vmnic0 with an address in 198.28.169.x network and the vmnic1 with an address in the 198.28.173.x network. Within the virtual environment I have 1 vSwitch on each host connected to both vmnics. I have 3 port groups: virtual machines, management network and vmotion. Virtual machines and management port groups are in the 198.28.169.x network and vmotion port group are in the 198.28.173.x network. Each port group has the VLAN ID of 4095 and they are all connected to the same vSwitch. I know the network set up isn't ideal or best practice but this is what's going on.

Issues:

1. VMs randomly lose all network connectivity. We have steps to get them back on the network but it's certainly not ideal.

2. I configured the management network ipconfiguration to be: IP - 198.28.169.x, netmask - 255.255.255.0, GW - 198.28.169.1. The problem is that if I reboot the host or restart the networking that the GW changes on its own to be 198.28.173.1. I don't know why it continues to do this.

Please help me configure a better setup for my networking that will resolve my issues. Thank you - Chris

0 Kudos
2 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

What is your default gw?

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Why are you using the same vlan for all port groups? Why are you using 4095 - a reserved vlan tag? -  the vlan tags should be unique or the subnet should be such that it will span both netwrok segments - to see if my idea is correct remove all vlans and see if everything works -

I also came across this at Yellow Bricks - a great vmware resource - http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2010/06/10/vlan-id-4095/

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos