VMware Cloud Community
Ltldevl
Contributor
Contributor

How do I disable cloning, suspending and snapshotting at the VM level

I would like to know if it's possible to disable cloning, suspending and snapshotting at the VM level.  I have checked out hardening docs and well as some extensive searching for VMX parameters and can't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - You will have to do it through permissions by creating a new role and assigning it to the user - this of course is assuming you have vCenter - because vCenter has a much finer granulation in Permissions than the host by itself - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Ltldevl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the prompt response and the welcome!  I was looking more along the lines of at the VM level.  So that way if I create a OVF of this VM, once deployed, it won't be cloned, suspended and snapshot'd.  I guess you could think of this as an appliance or a single purpose VM.

I understand that at the VCenter level or ESX level, I can restrict user rights, but I was hoping for a VMX flag(s)/parameter(s).

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Even with a VMX parameter you would need to disable datastore browsing since the VMX file is easily edited.

Here is a very extensive list of VMX parameters http://sanbarrow.com/vmx.html

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
Ltldevl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response.  That was the first list I checked.  No such luck there.  I know that an admin will have the access needed to reverse this change (if it's done through VMX config) but they will have to go out of their way to re-enable it.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

another option would be to create a folder (VM's&Templates), set  proper permissions on that folder and move the guests in question into  that folder. This way you can do it on a VM by VM basis.  Any VM in said  folder will have the restrictions.

Ltldevl
Contributor
Contributor

Lots of great suggestions....THANKS!

I really need something that will travel with the VM itself...like in the VMX file.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

With vCenter, you should be able to apply the permissions to the VM itself and as long as the VM is in that vCenetr environment the permissions will stay with the VM.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Ltldevl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  I think I'm ok for keeping them within the same VCenter.....it's foreign envionrmental portability that's the trick I can't find.

0 Kudos