VMware Cloud Community
SPRowe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM network slowness

I have an ESX4 server connected to a physical switch at 100/full, and the VMs attach to the vSwitch at 1000/full. Will this cause any issues when transfering large files? I only see my VM using 1% of the bandwidth when transfering data, I would expect to see it closer to 10%. Should I be using trafic shapping on the vSwitch?

Thx,

Scott Rowe

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

I have an ESX4 server connected to a physical switch at 100/full, and the VMs attach to the vSwitch at 1000/full. Will this cause any issues when transfering large files?

No.

I only see my VM using 1% of the bandwidth when transfering data, I would expect to see it closer to 10%. Should I be using trafic shapping on the vSwitch?

Where are you measuring the bandwidth from to get the 1% figure?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

I have an ESX4 server connected to a physical switch at 100/full, and the VMs attach to the vSwitch at 1000/full. Will this cause any issues when transfering large files?

No.

I only see my VM using 1% of the bandwidth when transfering data, I would expect to see it closer to 10%. Should I be using trafic shapping on the vSwitch?

Where are you measuring the bandwidth from to get the 1% figure?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
SPRowe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got the 1% from the task manager in in VM. Also if I look at the NIC chart in ESX it shows around 1000KBps.

0 Kudos