VMware Cloud Community
GPT
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading ESXi 4 to ESXi Update 1

I am attempting to determine how to apply VMWare ESX1 Update 1 to a VMWare ESXi 4 hosts...

I am VERY new to ESXi.. I have the VMA appliance installed and it is at update 1.

My reply to address in the communities is not correct and tehc support has been working on it for a last couple of weeks and can not figure out how to correct it. So if I am not repsonding to the post quickly is is becouse I have to login to check responses.

G.P. Trent

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would take my email address out of the post. To easy to be picked up by spam.

If you installed the Host Update Utility when you installed the vSphere Client then you have the tool for doing the updates. If you didn't install it I would download and install it again and make sure you check the box for installing the Host Update Utility.

If you have the utility just launch it. Add the ESXi host you want to update. Click the scan for patches.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
GPT
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response... I will modify my original post ot remove my email address... I apparently did not install the host update utility and I will look into do ing that.

It appears that I may have to resinstall ESXi to get this functionalality..

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

No need to reinstall. It is a vSphere client tool. Just download the new client from the VMware ESXi download page. Make sure when you reinstall the client that you select to install the Host Update Utility as well.

0 Kudos
GPT
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the assistance.. It appears that Update 1 is not avaialbe to ESXi that is only the free edition.. I spoke with sales just few minutes ago.. Perhpas that is why I can not connect to the host to trasfer files to the datastores also..

Thanks for your assistance..

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The update is available to the free version. http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_esxi/4 and click the V"Mware ESXi 4 Product License and Download" link. Click the download button.

You will be prompted for your username and password. Download the current version of the vSphere Client.

You should have no trouble transferring files to the datastore either. Use the Datastore Browser from the vSphere Clinet. Right click on a datastore and select Browse. You can upload and download from there.

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This may be a silly question, but I just updated my ESXi 4 host to Update 1 with the Host Update Utility. Now my question is do I update the vClient and Host Update Utility by accessing the host's web page and then downloading the vClient or what is the correct procedure?

Btw I looked in the upgrade guide, but it only mentioned the best practice for updating the host. Not the client software.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can download from the ESXi host or download directly from the ESXi download page. The updated client adds support for Windows 7 and 2008 r2

0 Kudos
eddial
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

I'm seeing the same problem. I verified that I had the latest update utility (Build 208111) and the original ESXi (free version) platform is at build 175625. The patch updater says that it's at the current version (Host is up-to-date). I tried to upgrade with the patch file from the download page and the upgrade fails telling me to upgrade using the patch button (Please use the patch button to apply 4.0.0 U1 patch to 4.0.0 hosts). Seeing that the command line utilities are severely limited, I'm out of options short of a clean install.

Please tell me I'm missing a basic step here.

Thanks - Ed

0 Kudos
jcasares
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same behavior with one of our old hosts. It stays at build 175625 but says it's fully patched. With another host the version was updated to 219382 when we did the patching. Granted it was an earlier version but AFAIK not U1. Is this normal?

0 Kudos