VMware Cloud Community
jschweg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade Questions / Help

Looking for a little bit of help/advice for my upgrade path.

I currently have 2 hosts running vSphere Essentials; no HA, all DAS storage local to each host.

1 host is running 5.0, the other is still running 4.1

Both are managed with the vCenter appliance 5.0

I just bought a brand new host that I would like to start with 6.0. How does this sound:

Install vSphere 6 on new host

Deploy a new version of the vCenter appliance on this host (v6)

Disconnect/remove my current 2 hosts from current v5 vCenter appliance

Add existing hosts to new v6 vCenter appliance

I do plan on either upgrading or decommissioning the old 4.1 host, but will the new vCenter appliance still be able to manage the 4.1 host so I can move the VM's, etc.?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
akodenkiri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jschweg,

vCenter Server 6.0 does not manage esx 4.1 host. Please upgrade this host to any supported version and manage from vCenter server 6.0. Using vCenter server 6.0 you can manage ESXi host 5.0 or greater versions. Here is the link for solution interoperability matrix link

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php

Interop.jpg

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards ak

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes you can continue with the plan it works,

you can migrate vm that is present in the 4.1 and then do a direct upgrade to 6.0.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
CoolRam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you tried is that solution work for you .

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
jschweg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry was traveling the last few days.

I guess this sort of works, but vCenter Server 6 does not appear to be able to manage an old 4.1 host according to the comparability matrix, so unless someone tells me otherwise, I guess that's going to need to be its own island until I upgrade it.

0 Kudos
akodenkiri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jschweg,

vCenter Server 6.0 does not manage esx 4.1 host. Please upgrade this host to any supported version and manage from vCenter server 6.0. Using vCenter server 6.0 you can manage ESXi host 5.0 or greater versions. Here is the link for solution interoperability matrix link

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php

Interop.jpg

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards ak
0 Kudos