VMware Cloud Community
naveedzaff12
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to add LUNs using starwind in esxi 5

Hi Bob,

I am facing the issue with starwind and esxi5 server. I have created a target and virtual disk in a storage server. The storage server model is HP 1600 G2 and is Windows 2008 storage server.

The virtual disk and target are created fine in the storage server. But when I add the IP address and port number to dynamic discovery in iscsi software adapter in esxi 5. It display nothing, just the progress bar says that its 100% completed.

I am not seeing any LUNs attached to it. When I add new storage, it does not display any thing there as well.

Previously I was using Microsoft iscsi target software which was with the server but it did not worked too. I have read some where in the forums to use star wind software instead of Microsoft iscsi target.

I am stuck in this for the last two days.

Kindly help me out.  

Waiting for yours or any other experts response.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

in order to access iSCSI targets you need to configure the ESXi host with VMkernel port groups and bind them to the newly created software iSCSI vmhba (I assume you already did this). Then - on the iSCSI target - add the ESXi hosts with either their IP addresses and/or their iSCSI iqn, depending on the target's requirements. Once this is done, create a LUN, present it to the ESXi hosts and add the target IP address to the ESXi host's Dynamic discovery entries.

Can you confirm you did all this?

André

0 Kudos
naveedzaff12
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have done the following

Created a vmkernel port group and assign it an IP address and bind it to the iscsi software adapter.

I have presented the IP address of the storage server in the software iscsi hba using dynamic discovery. Do I have to use the IP that is assigned to the vmkernel port or the IP of storage server.

I have created target in Microsoft iscsi target software and created a virtual disk and assign to it.

I have done it through the option of Host a user defined option in ASAM.

When I go into LUN management, and follow the create wizard then on the LUN type it wont allow me to do anything.

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins

Hi,

First of all I`d like to guide you to the StarWind documentation that might be helpful for you:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/images/content/technical_papers/StarWind_ESX_storage_migration.pdf - this one explains all the steps that you require for Basic Image target. Can you confirm that you have configured everything like it is described in the manual?

May I also ask you if you have created Target and Device both, or just target only?

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
antonioredding
Contributor
Contributor

You'll want to put the IP address of the storage/target server in the dynamic discovery field.  Also ensure that vmk interface is available on the network and there are no errors in the iSCSI binding.  Remember that an iSCSI port group can only be bound to one active interface at a time.  There's some additional configuration needed for multipathing, but you're still working to establish the first path.

0 Kudos