VMware Cloud Community
ollie2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thin provisioning issue

Evening all

We recently P2V'd 4 Dell servers which all went OK.

When it came to thin provisioning the storage, we've hit a slight snag. No matter what we do, we can't claw back any space through thin provisioning.

For example, we have one server, 62GB C drive. We've performed the following:

Defragged

Chkdsk'd

Sdelete -c (and even -z followed by another -c)

Then proceeded to migrate to another datastore as thin provisioned. We appear to get 0 space back even though Windows reports there being 31.6GB free disk space.

Don't get me wrong, in the past doing the 4 above steps has always clawed back the free space but just this time round on all 4 servers we can't reclaim anything.

I've even converted back to thick and then to thin in case something was being funny.

Using ESX 4 fully patched across all hosts.The only thing I can think is that when we've thin provisioned in the past, we were running ESX 4 with no patches and we've recently updated everything to the current release but I can't really believe a patch/update would have broken something so fundamental.

Any idea's?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
ollie2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for investigating that for us Duncan! I'm not sure if it's such a big problem now we've found a workaround and I was assured by VMWare suppor that it would be officailly implemented into ESX v5.

0 Kudos
DoDo201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Or you can use NFS.. move it to nfs, then bring it back.

(See post in the other thread.. http://communities.vmware.com/message/1811673)

If using vSphere, make sure to select the files directly in the datastore browser!

If you copy or move the whole folder, ESXi will make the vmdk thick at the destination!

0 Kudos
Dew1803
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Was this in fact implemented in ESXi 5.0?

0 Kudos
ollie2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No it wasn't and I believe they've made the problem even worse with vSphere 5 as VMFS 5 only supports 1MB block sizes (unless you upgrade to VMFS from VMFS3, then it keeps the block sizes, but you don't get all the benefits of VMFS5) so you cannot even move a thin provisioned VM to another datastore to free up the space. They have implemented "UNMAP" which free's up disk on thin provisioned LUN's on the SAN array end, but not within the actual VMDK.

Bit silly really, thought it would have been a good feature to promote!

0 Kudos
jfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So in vSphere 5 is there any way at all of thinning out VMDKs?

If they've removed it completely, that's a total nightmare. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
ollie2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess it will be back to the "create a new VM and use converter to re-convert it into the new VM" method? A royal PITA if you ask me.

We'll just have to be careful and make sure people don't fill up our thin VMDK's :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
jfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yuck. That takes ages, involves a lot of work and requires the VM to be taken out of service. Not good enough. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
ollie2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Agreed jfield! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Dew1803
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Like most people using ESXi 5.0, we're using a Datastore Cluster comprised of VMFS5 volumes (which, as Ollie pointed out, are all 1MB block size).

This morning I tested the following:

• Built a thick VM (40GB) on VMFS5 volume.
  • Created a new VMFS3 Datastore (with 8MB block size).
  • Ran the sDelete -z on OS.
  • Executed an advanced Storage VMotion to the VMFS3 volume and converted to thin disk format.
  • When the process completed, I confirmed that the disk was now thin and that space had been reclaimed.
  • I then executed a standard Storage VMotion back to my VMFS5 Datastore Cluster.
  • Once the final Storage VMotion completed, I verified that the VMDK retained its expected size and orientation.

All that being said, it only confirms that you can still achieve space reclamation with the process originally provided here, but w ESXi 5.0; given that you have some temp space and a lot of patience. In some instances, for VMs that you can bring down, converter would probably be faster... but the steps listed above would facilitate space reclamation for VMs which downtime isn't an option.

On a final note: The "UNMAP" feature they implemented for thin provisioned LUNs on the SAN side has been known to cause issues, and as such should be used with extreme caution (though both VMware and EMC recommend disabling it until a fix is found).

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200742...

Here's to hoping VMware gets this sorted out!

-dew

0 Kudos
jfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many thanks for producing a solution. We'll make sure we keep a VMFS3 datastore with a non-1MB block size.

Cheers!

0 Kudos