VMware Cloud Community
AND268Y
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5 and UPS shutdown

Hi

I have finally started using VSphere 5 on our charities server and everything is running smoothly.

The only issue I have left is getting the host to shutdown cleanly in the event of a power failure.

I currently have Powerchute installed in a windows guest and when the battery reaches a critical level a script runs to shutdown all the other guests and then the guest running powerchute will also shutdown cleanly.

After all the guest are shutdown, the UPS will then drop power to the server.

Given the host is still running at this point, is there any extra script I could run from within the windows guest to get it to shutdown cleanly.

So far in testing, the host has always restarted fine along with all the guests, so i'm not sure if there is any real need for a clean shutdown of the host?

Not sure if it makes any difference, but vsphere is running from a usb stick and is the free version.

Thanks in advance

Andy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
raj196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to fourm,

But its related to usp software which is not configure properly ,Once battery gose to critical mode it should execute shutdown,exe which is not happening .

Please check the script file or make simple batch file which will help to shutdown the machine.

0 Kudos
AND268Y
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if I have been clear enough, all the guest (windows based) are shutdown correctly by the ups.

This leaves just the host running briefly until the UPS shuts down and cuts the power to the host.

My question was if there was a script which could be run to initiate a clean host shutdown before the UPS shuts down and cuts the power to the host?

0 Kudos