VMware Cloud Community
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Storage and compute vmotion fails with compatability errors

Hello,

Trying to do a storage and compute vmotion on a vm from one cluster to another cluster , they both are in same vcsa and connected to same distributed switches. 

It throws compatibility errors when target cluster is selected  with below error. I dont see any error when other cluster is selected. Does anyone has any thoughts ? Anything to do with BIOS profiles on target hosts ? 

It shows error only when option compute and storage is selected. Not when just storage or compute within the cluster. 

The target host does not support the virtual machine's current hardware requirements. Use a cluster with Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) enabled to create a uniform set of CPU features across the cluster, or use per-VM EVC for a consistent set of CPU features for a virtual machine and allow the virtual machine to be moved to a host capable of supporting that set of CPU features. See KB article 1003212 for cluster EVC information. Supervisor Mode Access Prevention (SMAP) is unsupported. RDSEED is unsupported. Multi-Precision Add-Carry Instruction Extensions (ADX) is unsupported. 3DNow! PREFETCH and PREFETCHW are unsupported.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes its cpu compatibility issues between source and target. Thanks for the info. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Seems that the 2 clusters have different EVC levels set?

Or if there is no EVC the source and destination hosts are not CPU-compatible?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey @vjrk83 ,

The error message you're encountering is related to CPU feature compatibility between the source and target hosts in your VMware environment. VMware uses Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) to ensure that VMs can be moved between hosts with different CPU architectures or feature sets. It's designed to prevent compatibility issues when performing vMotion or Storage vMotion.

The error message you're seeing is indicating that the target host in the other cluster does not support some of the CPU features that the virtual machine requires.

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes its cpu compatibility issues between source and target. Thanks for the info. 

0 Kudos