VMware Cloud Community
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Shared LUN between VMs?? How??

Hello..

I've shared LUN for ESXi host and now i want to have one shared LUN for my VMs too How can i do that??

The LUN which i want to make shared is already shared between my esx hos, Now can i make the same LUN shared between my VMs?? Is it possible?

Tring to use RDM but when i assign shared ESX LUN to my VM, its goingfrom my shared LUN for ESX host so not able to assign the same for another VM which is located on other ESX host

Any idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Once you have assigned to a VM the RDM will disppear. however as a virtual mode there is a .vmdk pointer being created in the datastore. then go to host2 make sure it has access to the LUN, then add the pointer .vmdk to the VM via existing disk option.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When adding a LUN as a RAW device, you only map it as a RDM once. This will create a RDM mapping file, to which you then have to point from the other VMs. Just add it to the other VM's as a virtual disk and select the RDM's vmdk mapping file.

André

AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can share a LUN across VMs using a physical RDM.

But if your guest filesystem is not cluster aware you will have a lot of trouble.

See also:

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre, but when i use the same vmdk doesn;t it get lock??

Scnario: I've Cluster created for 2 ESX host both of them are having 10 LUNs shared between them. now i'm assigning 1 LUN out of 10 ESX1 under that VM1 for example LUN1.

Now how do i assign same LUN1 to other ESX2 host VM2 ??

Is it possible because as soon as i assigned LUN1 to my VM1 which is under ESX1. LUN1 will be disappear from the shared LUNS available in cluster.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the RDM during the first time, please select virtual RDM it will create a .vmdk pointer. then go to the second machine add existing virtual drive and point to the vmdk.

this tutorial although is version 3 but it does show you the idea. http://virtrix.blogspot.com/2006/08/short-tutorial-esx-30-cluster-in-box.html

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, This is sharing virtual disk in single ESX host how can we do that for 2 ESX host look at the scanario i mentioned in above.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Once you have assigned to a VM the RDM will disppear. however as a virtual mode there is a .vmdk pointer being created in the datastore. then go to host2 make sure it has access to the LUN, then add the pointer .vmdk to the VM via existing disk option.

0 Kudos