VMware Cloud Community
jeffoutwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move VM's from 3.5 to 4

Can someone suggest an efficient procedure to move VM's from 3.5 to 4?

From vCenter v2.5.0 with ESX 3.5 on a Windows 2003 server, I am able to "Remove from Inventory", but when I attempt to add it to another ESX 4.0 host, I recieve the error "Validation not applicable this time". Also I am not able to create a new VM and use the existing .vmdk file as the hard drive.

The CPU's, network and datastores are the same.

I can export the VM from the 3.5 virtual center server to the 4.0 vSphere server, but this requires rewriting to the same datastore, which is a huge waste of time when I am remaining on the same datastore. Can someone suggest the proper procedure to move VM's from 3.5 to 4? Thanks, -Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your best method would be to use VMware Converter. Your problem is that you have vCenter 2.5, and that cannot manage the 4.0 Host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your best method would be to use VMware Converter. Your problem is that you have vCenter 2.5, and that cannot manage the 4.0 Host.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Upgrade your vCenter to 4.0 and then you can use standard migration and even VMotion between ESX 3.5 and 4.0

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, I get the same impression as the other posters - that you have an ESX 4.0 host managed with VirtualCenter 2.5? That is not a supported configuration. For all upgrades (both going to a new Update # and going to a new Version #) the supported order of applying the upgrade is:

1. VirtualCenter

2. Hosts

3. VMs

You should not have an earlier version VirtualCenter supporting later version hosts, or an earlier version Host supporting later version VMs.

jeffoutwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for any confusion,

I have an 3.5 ESX host managed by vCenter 2.5 and a 4.0 ESX host managed by vSphere server.

These ESX hosts share the same datastore. The 3.5 environment will be staying as it is.

I need to move about one third of the VM's over to the 4.0 platform.

I think I will go the Converter route. Thanks all, -Jeff

0 Kudos
asp24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You say that the two environments are sharing the same datastores? Then you can simply shutdown the VM, remove it from inventory, go into vCenter4, browse the datastore and rightclick on the VM's vmx and click on "add to inventory".

This should work. Or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
jeffoutwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is exactly the procedure I initially used that started this discussion.

From vCenter v2.5 and an ESX 3.5 host, I am able to

"Remove from Inventory", Then from a vSphere / ESX 4.0 environment I attempt to add it to another ESX

4.0 host, I recieve the error "Validation not applicable this time".

Also I am not able to create a new VM and use the existing .vmdk file

as the hard drive.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hmm,

What happens if you copy the vm on the esx i4.0 server to a new folder, and then try add or start it?

0 Kudos
dragooner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Maybe the best methods is upgrade your VirtualCenter2.5 to vCenter4.Then U can manage your Host not only3.5 but also 4.0.

BTW:When the VMs is in the new environment, U must upgrade your vmtools first,and then your can upgrade your VM hardwares.

0 Kudos