VMware Cloud Community
digicution
Contributor
Contributor

Max VCPUs limit reached

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to do a micro-vm density evaluation against esxi and my goal is 400 micro vm's on our beefy blade server.

I am hitting a wall when I try to start more than 300 vm's.  I get the error: "Max VCPUs limit reached: 300 (2364 worlds)" According to the esxi 5 maximums, I should be able to run up to 512 VM's on  single host.  Even at 300 vm's, we still have plenty of CPU and memory left so that isn't the issue.

In esx 4.x you could change the vmkernel.boot.maxVCPUS paramemter from the default to the max of 512 but this parameter isn't available in esxi 5.

Any body know how I can get this to work?  If I cannot hit my goal of 400 vms, I'll have to look at another solution that doesn't have these limitations such as KVM or openvz. I'd prefer not to do that since those are opensource solutions and would require alot of engineering work to duplicate some of the features in the vcenter/vcloud solutions.

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
digicution
Contributor
Contributor

As I mentioned in my OP, that KB isn't relevant.  There is no maxvcpus vmkernel.boot option in esxi 5.

There isn't one in the advanced configuration page and esxcfg-advcfg.pl complains that ths option is not found.

Maybe it's hidden somewhere?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you're right, I didn't realize it wasn't available in ESXi5....

0 Kudos