VMware Cloud Community
JFHernandez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing a Guest OS

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install a Guest OS to an ESXi 5 using the vSphere Client 5, but no matter what I choose as the CD/DVD source for the VM it keeps saying it's not found, I tried client CD/DVD, host device, ISO image, and I get the same for all.

Before you ask, yes, I did click on the  Connect/Disconnect cd/DVD devices button and chose the right one, but I keep getting nothing, any ideas what i might be missing?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to make sure. Did you upload the ISO file to a VMFS datastore (using e.g. the datastore browser) and connect the ISO file from there. Also make sure "Connect at Power On" is checked in the VM's virtual CD-ROM drive.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

Couple questions.  You have confirmed the media is bootable?  Try to edit settings of the guest--Options tab-Boot Options-Force BIOS Setup.  Put a check box in The next time the virtual machine boots....

Reboot the guest, go into the bios an ensure CD/DVD is first in the boot order.

1872780.png

Finally, ensure the "Connect at Power On" box is checked as well for you CD/DVD Drive

0 Kudos
JFHernandez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I forgot to say, I tried that too, but it just doesn't read the DVD anywhere I put it.

0 Kudos
JFHernandez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also, the media is bootable, I have used it many times for this purpose.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to make sure. Did you upload the ISO file to a VMFS datastore (using e.g. the datastore browser) and connect the ISO file from there. Also make sure "Connect at Power On" is checked in the VM's virtual CD-ROM drive.

André

0 Kudos
JFHernandez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I did try uploading an ISO of the DVD to the datastore, but I did not check the connect at start-up, let me check and I'll let you know.

0 Kudos
JFHernandez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked, thanks a lot.

Do you have any idea why it's not recognizing CDs or DVDs only ISOs?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, this often depends on the server hardware and sometimes (I've seen this on some HP hosts) on the firmware of the CD/DVD-ROM drive.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One more hint. In case you connect the CD-ROM/ISO after the VM is already powered on, don't press reset it to reboot to VM, only press CTRL-ALT-INS to "warm" boot it. Otherwise the CD-ROM/ISO may be disconnected again.

André

0 Kudos