VMware Cloud Community
lav4
Contributor
Contributor

Host Profiles or vDs ?

Hi all,

I jave ten esx servers already installed + vCenter.

After the installation, I want to know what is the best way to config all of them.

the main question: why should I use the vDs to deploy network configuration across all of them insted config one server and deploy his configuration via the Host Profiles feature ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you have the Enterprise Plus licensing and can use the host profiles feature, use that no matter what style of networking that you choose. vDS are great but for basic functionality they are probably overkill. What does your network layout look like, perhaps we can help you pick what type of switching to use (there are manys schools of thought on this)

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

Assuming you have the Enterprise Plus license for VSphere and your servers are a close match in hardware, use Host Profiles to make your hosts match to what you want and each other -- you'll have much more granularity of parameters and in the future you'll be able to see if anyone changed a parameter by using the "Check Compliance Now" feature. If changes show up from Check Compliance Now, you can remediate the host back to match the enforced Host Profile.

Datto

0 Kudos