VMware Cloud Community
mmettam
Contributor
Contributor

HP StorageWorks P2000 MSA G3 iSCSI (4x 1Gb)

Hi all...

My first post after ready many a thousand others so hi all!!!

I was just wondering if there are many people out there using the above (Baby) SAN and what kind of performance they are getting out of it?

I'd like to know what your kind of setup's are?

Hosts? 3?

Connectivity? i.e. 8x 1Gb iSCSC per host being split into 2 storage fabric switches and then 4x 1Gb nics to each controller?

Number of VM's running and if they are running well?

Speed of connectivity to the VM's to the physical network? 4x 1Gb into network or 10Gb into network?

What type of LUNS and disk configs peeps are using? RAID5/6/10?

Sorry to have so many points for anwsers but i'd like to know more...

I've seen the 10GbE solution running and its blazing fast but i'd just like to know to what size of install will the baby 4x 1gb san go to?

I understand that with correct NIC configuration, MTU and multiple paths etc the 4x 1Gb nic can't be seen as just 4x 1Gb NIC.

So by all means let the posting begin! 😉

Regards Michael
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scottyyyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, the answer to how many hosts/VMs a basic GigE based SAN will scale to is... it depends! Workload, types of VMs, storage IO reqguirements, etc will all play a huge role. Most vendors should be able to run some tools in your environment to get an exact read of how many IOPS your dealing with. From there, they should be able to properly size something for you.

Having a lot of experience in these types of setups, I would wager a guess (and I'm plucking this out of the air based on gut feeling and experience) that a basic Gig-E based SAN should be able to support a solid 75+ VMs  (<10 hosts) in an average environment (mix of SQL, exchange, file and print, etc), before 1 Gig ethernet starts to become a serious bottleneck. I've had the storage experts from both HP and Dell tell me in <50VM environments that Gig iSCSI should be more than enough. In fact, in <25VM environments, they even recommended 10K SAS instead of 15K.

Best practice for network config is a 1:1:1 ratio of controller ports to NICs on your host to vmkernel ports. So on a 4 port controller, you would want 4 NICs per host dedicated to iSCSI, each bound to 4 vmkernel ports.

There's advantages and disadvantages to any RAID level - you'll always sacrifice something. As requirements dictate, you might need different volumes with different RAID levels. Some newer SANs will automatically manage this for you. With Compellent, for example, you don't even touch RAID settings, it does it in a super smart way for you (always writing to RAID 0, alread reading from 5, customizable of course).

HP's are great solutions, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't see offerings from other vendors as a comparison. SAN tech has come a long way in the past couple years, so do yourself a favor, and see what EMC, Dell Eql and Dell Compellent have to Offer.

0 Kudos
mmettam
Contributor
Contributor

That awesome...

That's just what I wanted to know!!!

I know there alot of factors that need to be considered but I just thought I'd fire the thought out there...

We are also already looking at dell eq and emc. However for bang for buck the HP p2000 g3 iscsi box comes in at a awesome price!!!

For SMB solutions they are a great product... Joined with essentials plus small businesses get an enterprise class solutions for SMB prices!!!

Thanks again all sent the points your way soon!

Kind regards,

Regards Michael
0 Kudos
scottyyyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The HP P2000's compete with Dell's Powervault MD series, not the EqualLogics. An EqualLogic is more on par with something like a P4000 series.

The P2000's and MD's are great little SANs, especially for the money. Just make sure you get a demo of those as well as something a bit higher end like an EqualLogic, so you know exactly where you stand. I've seen a few comments here and there from people who grew out of an MD/P2000 a lot quicker than they thought they would.

0 Kudos