VMware Cloud Community
BrandonBBB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't see RDM in Windows 7?

Hi all,

I attached local SATA drives (3 of them) to my 2008 R2 VM without a problem (using these instructions: http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/10/25/rdm-mapping-of-local-sata-storage-for-esxi/).  However, my Windows 7 Ent. VM doesn't see the drive at all.

Any thoughts as to why? 

I know in Server 2008 R2 I had to do a few commands to get them online in disk management, but they don't even show up in disk management in the Windows 7 machine.

Any help is much appreciated.

Brandon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you assigned the RDM as scsi2:0 - try to use the already active controller scsi0 instead

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do the vmdks appear in the vmx-file
do they appear as used in the vmware.log ?

if unsure attach the vmware.log

BrandonBBB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply, continuum.  I apologize it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I checked the VMX, and it doesn't appear there, which is a little surprising.  I had set it up on SCSI 1:0, which is set to false.

Can I or should I manually edit this vmx file?  Or should I just try reinstalling it through vSphere again?

Ok, on second look I had apparently removed it from the VM.  I have since reattached it, and it does show up in the VMX file.  The log file is attached.  Anyone see anything odd?  I have two other drives that were setup exactly like this for a Server 2008 VM that are working flawlessly.

Thanks,

Brandon

Message was edited by: BrandonBBB

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi
looks like something inside your guest prevents that you can see the drive.

The VM looks like it is using it without errors

BrandonBBB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thank you again for the reply.  I'll do some more Googling and see what I can find out.

In the mean time, if anyone has any ideas, do please speak up.  Smiley Happy

Brandon

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you assigned the RDM as scsi2:0 - try to use the already active controller scsi0 instead

0 Kudos
BrandonBBB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good idea.  I'll do that.  It was recommended that you add these to a different controller in the article I used to do this, although I'm not sure why. 

Brandon

0 Kudos
BrandonBBB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked great!  Thank you for that!

Brandon

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you ever find out why your Windows 7 cant handle 2 scsi-controllers please let us know

0 Kudos
BrandonBBB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will do.

Thanks again.

Brandon

0 Kudos