VMware Cloud Community
atcnf2008
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi4 Update1 download is not available for Free License?

Hi, everyone,

As I know I can only get the non-updated version of ESXi 4.0, ESXi 4 update 1 is not shown on the download - for- free link, does this mean we must pay to play with ESXi 4.0 update 1? Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you have 4.0 installed use the Host Update utility to upgrade to update 1

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
atcnf2008
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, David,

I successfully upgraded one host by using Host Upgrade Update Utility, Just choose "scan for patches", I thought I need use "Upgrade Host"....

0 Kudos
blackg
Contributor
Contributor

did you actually update ESXi or just the Tools? what version does it say you are running?

I ran the patches but I don't think that actually upgraded ESXi because my build number is still 175625.

The only download I can get to for the update didn't allow me to use the upgrade path. It said use the patch button.

Anyone else?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I just did it several times in my test lab. Works fine. Make sure you are in maintenance mode. If you applied patches earlier make sure the ESXi host has been restarted, then scan for patches again. You can try applying any patches prior to update 1 first.

0 Kudos
blackg
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm well I installed the new client and host update utility (208111).

When I ran Upgrade Host I chose the file ESXi-4.0.0-1.9.208167-upgrade-release.zip and that's when it gave me the error to use the Patch Button. I used the patch button and i forget exactly what the patches were called but it only looked like tools.

In the Host Update Utility it's still saying build 175625.... shouldn't it be 208167?

Again I am using the free version so I can't run the vsphere command line update.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The zip file is only for use with the cli tools. Use the Host Update Utility. Scan for patches. Apply patches.

0 Kudos