VMware Cloud Community
lhcrnetadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Adding 2nd hard disk to a running VM

I am running esx 4.0 standard. When I try to add a 2nd drive to the VM I get the error "License Not available to perform the operation. Feature hotplug not licensed, requires need have have"

Now I did read on another thread that this was going to be fixed in update 1. Can anyone confirm that the update 1 fixed this problem? I know the hotadd feature allows memory and cpu's to be added while the VM is running, but I'm only interested in adding hard disks while the VM is running.

TIA!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert

I had a ESXi 4 host at a client site that had this exact issue, Once I applied U1, the issue went away...

-

| VCP[3] | VCP[4]

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
lhcrnetadmin
Contributor
Contributor

I have been on the phone all day with Vmware. I've spoke with tech support and licensing and no one knows whats going on. I'm getting the answer of "hotplug is only available in esx 4 advanced". Hotplug as I read is for CPU, Memory and HBA support.. no where does it say anything abot adding disk on the fly.

Guess I'll install update 1, I just wanted some insight before I did.

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

Yeah i hear you... the U1 at the client site of mine .. maybe have fixed it may have not... I just re-read the U1 release notes and i couldnt find anything related to the Hot Add Disk issue....

On another note, I did however update 8 Nodes (esx4) to U1 with no issues.. With the U1 release.. your tools will also need to be updated on your guests :)..

-

| VCP[3] | VCP[4]

0 Kudos
lhcrnetadmin
Contributor
Contributor

What version of ESXi is your client running? Was it standard?

I'd just like to know if anyone is able to hot add disk to VM's with the standard edition.

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

Just the Free version - nothing fancy (simple 2 stand alone nodes)...

-

| VCP[3] | VCP[4]

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I think the "fixed" hotadd in update 1 applies to all versions. Hotadd now includes disk and CPU. Hotadd memory and other devices still requires the license.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Hot remove also functions.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos