VMware Cloud Community
jneves10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error installing ESXi 4

Hi everybody,

I am trying to install ESXi 4 but i am getting this errror: "unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/vmfs3"

This is the specifications off my hardware:

• CPU Intel 1366 i7 930 Box (2,80GHz)

• ASRock X58 Extreme

• OCZ Memória PC Platinum Low Voltage Triple Channel 3 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL7

• SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD 4550 - 512 MB GDDR3 - PCI-Express 2.0

I have been looking on the compatibility hardware list from vmware, and i dont find all this components exactly, but in some searches i made, i notice that there are some people that successfully installed this platform in someless hardware.

Have you any idea what might been causing these problem?!

Thank you.

JN

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bgavin1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks much. This was exactly the problem.

Board: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L v2, E6500 processor

Onboard NIC is Atheros junk.

Replaced with current Intel PCI NIC, disabled onboard, ESXi 4.1 installs just fine.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Even though this error message says "unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/vmfs3", it's most likely the network adapter which is not recognized/compatible.

André

asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The compatibility list for ESX(i) list only server hardware, so it is not surpising that a "desktop" motherboard wouldn't be listed in the official compatibility list.

You didn't mention if you were installing ESXi4.0 or 4.1, but we've recently found some unsupported motherboards that worked fine with 4.0 but failed to install with 4.1. We were able to do workaround installs (e.g.: install 4.0, then upgrade to 4.1. Or install using a different system, then move drives) but that is still no guarantee of success for your components.

Also, it wasn't specifically addressed in the thread so I'll mention it: try downloading the installer again. Be sure to confirm the MD5. Perhaps you have a bad CD. Also try a different CD drive. I've had drives that were picky about the CDs, so caused weird install errors.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What RAID controller are you using and what kind of hard drives (and configuration)?? While I also suspect the NIC is an issue, I won't rule out an unsupported drive controller connected to storage, and/or an unsupported storage configuration in use too.

This is just one of the issues with going with completely unsupported hardware. While some people might have had luch with some of the same hardware (and versions of firmware/bios) your experience could be completely opposite. Desktop motherboard RAID controllers are (generally speaking) crap (software RAID, not hardware RAID) when it comes to ESX/ESXi... Only Intel and Broadcom NIC's are supported (realtek are 100% crap, on any level), and even then, only certain chips from both are 100% supported.

I would always look to the VMware HCL first, when selecting hardware to run ESX/ESXi... I would go to the ultimate ESX whiteboxsite for a second check (if going with a mostly supported configuration to ensure someone else has made it work and taken the time to post the results)... There are a couple of other sites, but chances are if you find it on either of the above two, you should be ok... Granted, there's always catches if you deviate (even slightly) from the posted compatible configurations...

I see just two asrock motherboards listed on the ultimate ESX whitebox site for ESX/ESXi 4.x (4.0), neither are what you posted up, or for the socket you're using...

Newer parts are not always better when you're going with installing ESX/ESXi onto them. I would usually opt for hardware that's been in production for at least a good six months (if it's not 100% on the HCL) before even thinking about attempting to install ESX/ESXi onto it...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
jneves10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Asatoran,

The version of ESXi that i am trying to install is 4.1, but i tried version 4 to and i got the same error!

In what concern with corrupted download, i have downloaded it again and the MD4 was correct... I have already tried with to different CD drives Smiley Sad

At the startup, before starting loading modules, appears me a red message but it is so fast that i could not read it and i can not do scroll down! Anyone has found this issue?

Best regards,

JN

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

At the startup, before starting loading modules, appears me a red message but it is so fast that i could not read it

Maybe a silly idea, however most mobile phones and digital cameras have the ability to capture movies. This might be an option to find out what the red message is about.

André

0 Kudos
bgavin1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks much. This was exactly the problem.

Board: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L v2, E6500 processor

Onboard NIC is Atheros junk.

Replaced with current Intel PCI NIC, disabled onboard, ESXi 4.1 installs just fine.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
jneves10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your contribution.

At the moment we solve our problems! It was the network adapter.

Since we disable the network adapter on board and add a new network adapter (Broadcom Net Xtreme II 1000 Express Dual Port Eth) the installation occurs with any problem.

Best regards,

JN

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are welcome. Glad it works now.

André

Please consider to set the question as "Answered" and mark correct and/or helpful answers, so other users can benefit from your solution.

0 Kudos
TekMun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same motherboard, GA-G31M-ES2L Rev 2.0. I disabled onboard NIC and purchased an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop adapter (recommended in www.ultimatewhitebox.com). Unfortunately, I am still not able to get pass this stage.

vmkctl.HostCtlException: Not a 64-bit ELF file!

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

0 Kudos