VMware Cloud Community
davidbrito
Contributor
Contributor

Error backing up VM - [VM_Name]-flat.vmdk file

Hello all,

I am using VMWare v5.0 and after creating two VM's, in one of them i am not able to copy the [VM_Name]-flat.vmdk file to outside server or even inside same server but different datastore. The copy tentatives were done with the virtual machines off and the destination had sufficient disk space (file is 350GB).

This were the tentatives (the error appears after 16GB of data are copied so stucking at the same point or disk block):

- inside VSphere copy from ESXi server datastore to another server in LAN:

the error was: "Expected FILE_DATA message. Got: SESSION_COMPLETE"

- Veeam Backup & Replication copy from ESXi server datastore to another server in LAN OR copy from ESXi server datastore to same server but different datastore:

the error in the two tentatives was "Failed to copy item 'nfc://conn:192.168.20.139,stg:4f049610-27b8d8b6-7732-00e08143427b@FTPServer2/FTPServer2-flat.vmdk' Error: Client error: Received unexpected message [4] from server.

Failed to retrieve next FILE_PUT message. File path: [[datastore1] FTPServer2/FTPServer2-flat.vmdk]. File pointer: [16994795520]. File size: [375809638400]."

- SSH access to ESXi server and copy from one datastore to another:

the error was "cp: read error: Input/output error"

This seems to be a corrupt file or disk problem. I also tried to run chkdsk (WinServer2008 VM) but did not solve it.

Without the backup this machine is useless and a lot of work will have to be redone. Is there any way I can solve this?

Thanks for your time

Any more information that you need please ask.

David Brito

0 Kudos
3 Replies
davidbrito
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add,

I also installed inside the VM, VMWare Converter, and converted the VM (as it was a physical) to a VM inside the same ESXi server but on different datastore and the process succeded (with a disk block warning). But still can not backup that machine with the same problem as above described (then crashing at a different point).

Also forgot to add that the VM works perfectly well when powered on. the only problem is to backup it (and i have tried always with the VM powered off and to destinations with enough available space).

All the best,

David

0 Kudos
davidbrito
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I will answer myself.

I have redone from the start a new VM in another disk of the ESXi server and now the backup works...

Thanks anyway

David

0 Kudos
davidbrito
Contributor
Contributor

Marking it as answered with no helpful or correct points. I have answered myself.

0 Kudos