VMware Cloud Community
jinksys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.X drivers

I am trying to find how to identify the default drivers included with ESXi 5.X and how they compare to 3rd party drivers such as HP-Offline bundle. I understand the HP-Offline bundle will have enhanced CIM providers and maybe very specific driver features. What is vmware including in ESXi by default? Shouldn't they have a driver built in by default for everything they have certified and support? What are some other advantages to using a 3rd patry driver bundle or even the the HP version of the ESXi image. Any info or documentation is appreciated. I have done a fair amount of searching. While there seems to be an ok amount of information about HP offline bundle and how to slip it into your iso, there seems to be a lack of information regarding the default drivers in ESXi.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When a certain device becomes supported, its driver will be included in the next version of VMware.

However, if a device is supported as of today, you typically want to use it today - this is why extra drivers are released as separate bundles.

"Support" through the use of a driver, and "managed" through a CIM bundle are separate things. You wouldn't want a CIM bundle for unused hardware installed - it's just bloat. So it's easier for VMware to recommend installing these separately.

If the question is "how do I know if I have the most up to date drivers", honestly unless you're having an issue I'd leave it alone and wait for the next Vmware patch - which will include the latest driver at the time in a more widely deployed fashion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Go through this link...... Will solve your query

1) http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/2010/10/12/esxi-4-x-installable-hp-customized-iso-image-dna/

2) http://www.vpaule.de/index.php/differences-between-esxi-5-0-from-vmware-and-hp/

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When a certain device becomes supported, its driver will be included in the next version of VMware.

However, if a device is supported as of today, you typically want to use it today - this is why extra drivers are released as separate bundles.

"Support" through the use of a driver, and "managed" through a CIM bundle are separate things. You wouldn't want a CIM bundle for unused hardware installed - it's just bloat. So it's easier for VMware to recommend installing these separately.

If the question is "how do I know if I have the most up to date drivers", honestly unless you're having an issue I'd leave it alone and wait for the next Vmware patch - which will include the latest driver at the time in a more widely deployed fashion.

0 Kudos
jinksys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to both of you for helpful information. Any known documentation about which drivers/version are included in each release?

0 Kudos