VMware Cloud Community
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi 5.5 on Mac Pro 6,1

This system is not on the HCL but I'm still looking at getting ESXi installed on it... I have used unebootin to create a bootable USB installer from VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0-1331820.x86_64.iso Booted from this and see a list of modules load. Then it gets stuck at "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel..." Is there some way to get a more verbose set of boot logs?

Tags (3)
68 Replies
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have the machines in house, we are working on it, no ETA yet.

0 Kudos
AJ2317
Contributor
Contributor

VMware, can you at least give an ETA on when you think the next version or patch will support it? I will not install anything but ESXi on my Mac Pro.

0 Kudos
Frozzty
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the same situation as AJ2317.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have the machines in house, we are working on it, no ETA yet.

Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Frozzty
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Ethan44,

thanks for you post, but the two links has nothing to do with the decribed problem in this thread.

jonschwenn
Contributor
Contributor

To who's attention do we send our bribes to? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This issue is now tracked by VMware bug 1260631 and Apple's rdar://problem/17021508 .

jtlee
Contributor
Contributor

Just got notification today that my 10k Mac Pro just shipped, I hope this gets fixed soon.

I don't know how to view those defects, assuming they are even public, but glad to hear they are getting attention.

0 Kudos
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If it's a bug that apple needs to fix on the mac pro hardware we may be in for a long wait. I will add the radar bug to issues we are tracking status on with apple & vmware. Blake

0 Kudos
Sioux_Admin
Contributor
Contributor

Any progress on this, we have a 10k Mac Pro with dust on it Smiley Sad

Frozzty
Contributor
Contributor

@Sioux_Admin

It's like our Mac Pro. A mountin of dust on the top Smiley Sad

BenStineman
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, we have four 12core, $9000 Mac Pros gathering dust....

0 Kudos
Sioux_Admin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

Is there any update on tickets VMware bug 1260631 and Apple's rdar://problem/17021508 ?

I hope to hear from you soon VmWare support!.

Regards,

Desperate systemadmin.

0 Kudos
sanchower
Contributor
Contributor

Am I right, that we are waiting for a new ESX 5.5 Update 2 or it will be a separate patch?

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> Am I right, that we are waiting for a new ESX 5.5 Update 2 or it will be a separate patch?

We don't know yet. The issue is being worked on...

0 Kudos
Sioux_Admin
Contributor
Contributor

Could you tell us something about the state of this issue, is there perhaps already a workaround or a beta patch ?

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I know we're anxious for a solution, but let's not give the poor VMware guy a hard time.  He was kind enough to stop by with official information (they post in their free time, not part of their job).

I've been running VMware Fusion on my trash cans in the meantime and it's rock solid.  Go grab the latest free trial (VMware Fusion6) and have some fun.  This also has the additional benefit of burning in your MAC allowing you to use up to 60GB of RAM for your VMs (I try to save 4GB for the MAC OS).

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is news.

For those who have access to the VMware vSphere 2015 Beta 1 build (see VMware vSphere Beta), as a workaround, try booting with the enablePCIEHotplug=FALSE boot option. If that does not work with beta 1, try with the beta 2 that will be released soon.

For those who only have access to ESXi 5.5, there seems to be another issue that we are still investigating and for which there is so far no workaround.

Sioux_Admin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi HPReg,

Could you tell us how we can join or sign-up from the Beta program, we really want to use our Mac Pro.

Hope to hear from you.

Kind Regards,

Rob

0 Kudos