VMware Cloud Community
d_laci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1 update

HI there,

I'm trying to apply some patches on my ESXi 5.1 according to these (VMware KB: Installing patches on an ESXi 5.x host from the command line ) instructions but I can't go forward.

After issuing this esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/WD_1TB/patches/ESXi510-201310001/metadata.zip I'm getting the following error:

[MetadataDownloadError]

Could not download from depot at zip:/vmfs/volumes/WD_1TB/patches/ESXi510-201310001/metadata.zip?index.xml, skipping (('zip:/vmfs/volumes/WD_1TB/patches/ESXi510-201310001/metadata.zip?index.xml', '', 'Error extracting index.xml from /vmfs/volumes/WD_1TB/patches/ESXi510-201310001/metadata.zip: "There is no item named \'index.xml\' in the archive"'))

url = zip:/vmfs/volumes/WD_1TB/patches/ESXi510-201310001/metadata.zip?index.xml

Please refer to the log file for more details.

I can't find much the log files either. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After issuing this esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/WD_1TB/patches/ESXi510-201310001/metadata.zip ...

It looks like you unzipped the downloaded patch file!? That's not what you want to do, just use the downloaded .zip file as it is in the command.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you extract the zip manually, is there an index.xml in the zip?

0 Kudos
Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Redownload the patches it's messed up somehow... I bet fragged in the download.

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143
0 Kudos
d_laci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I check that and it contains an index.xml file.

0 Kudos
d_laci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Might be, I'm going to give a try

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After issuing this esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/WD_1TB/patches/ESXi510-201310001/metadata.zip ...

It looks like you unzipped the downloaded patch file!? That's not what you want to do, just use the downloaded .zip file as it is in the command.

André

0 Kudos