VMware Cloud Community
derekbarton
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 installation network card problem

I am trying to evaluate the software, but I do not have a valid network card. I was wondering if there was a list of supported NICs so I could purchase one.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.

What sort of NIC does your system have?  There are a number of community compiled drivers that might help you out.  If you add a card, an Intel Pro 1000 based card (like a Pro1000 GT) is usually a safe bet.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

you can find all supported NICs under "I/O Devices" in the VMware Compatibility Guide

There are also a couple of other NICs which are also known as working (usually less expensive) like e.g. an Intel PRO/1000 GT.

André

derekbarton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply! The system has an onboard  Intel 82579LM. I tried a Realtek RTL8139/810x family through a PCI slot with no luck. I will pick up a Pro1000 GT and see how it goes. if it does not then I will look into the community compiled drivers.

0 Kudos
derekbarton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply! I was looking at the compatibility guide, but was unaware of the I/O devoces option. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

0 Kudos
MdAbdulWahab
Contributor
Contributor

I hope your issue was resolved, please share the information as im facing the same issue !!

0 Kudos
derekbarton
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it did. Getting an Intel Pro1000 GT card did the trick. I knew that the CPU was supported because it is a Xeon, but the only other concern was the system board. Everything verified after installing the NIC.

0 Kudos