VMware Cloud Community
Seba1
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI MDT rebooting on start up

I have been always using VirtualBOX for capturing and deploying OS

I have decided to move to Vmware and banging the wall from 2 days now.

I have uploaded all drivers from VMware Tools to my WDS and MDT. 

MDT starts without issues if execute Litetouch.vbs directly from under the windows.

However when PXE booting it connects to WDS but gets as far as splash screen and reboots after 2-3 min of seating there.

Has anyone come across this and know the solution  ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Here some suggestions.

VMware vSphere supports promiscuous mode to detect all traffic on the virtual switch since a long time ago.

If your setup includes 'Secure Boot Uefi over PXE' for Microsoft operating systems, there is a Microsoft Hardware Lab Kit related test option to analyze the environment, see https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/testref/b0ea1e01-f036-4a87-9b8d-bae338e5.... VMware vSphere supports Secure Boot of virtual machines since virtual hardware version 13.

If the wds dhcp configuration for uefi is configured for coexistence, a provider class 'Class PXEClient class UEFI x64' and the following dhcp options should be configured: 003 Router, 066 Boot Server Host Name and 067 Bootfile Name.

Microsoft windows dhcp server with the wds role on the same guest os (see here , search for: Don't use DHCP options 60, 66, or 67. It isn't supported.) seems to have been an issue at least on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos