VMware Cloud Community
Ketonal
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 5.5 installation doesn't recognise hdd disks

Hi

I'm writing because i have problem with installation of ESXi 5.5 on new Adstin solar server, it doesn't recognise any storage device- Local(none) , Remote(none). I tried with Linux And Windows and there was no problem, also BIOS recognises devices and RAID. I also tried to install older version of ESX server to check if it recognise those hdd drives but that didnt solve the problem. Please help me , what else can i do ?

The server motherboard is Supermicro x9drw , 2x Intel Xeon CPU e5-2609 v2 16 GB , Physical devices : Hitahi HUA72205 ~ 460 GB and 2x HUS72403 2,7 TB.  i will be thankful for any advice:)

Ketonal

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What type of hard disk/RAID controller do you use? Often the Onboard-RAID is a software RAID (aka Fake RAID) which is not supported with ESXi. Please check the VMware Compatibility Guide (I/O Devices) to see whether your controller is supported..

André

Ketonal
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, first thank u Andre very much for your attention i can't find what is the RAID controller , i looked inside and find that disks are attached to SAS815tq but its just a backplane (?)  but  i figured out on Supermicro web page  that VMware 5.x unfortunatly does't support Supermicro X9DRW -if motherboard. So is there any option to solve this issue? I heard that there is option to install older version of Vmware and check how does it sees these drivers and than add this drives to ISO of newer version ?
Ketonal

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Another option would be USB install see if you can install on a USB stick. If the install goes through, there are two options

1. Install compatible drivers for the local RAID controller - this would involve trying out random drivers and might not work

2. Use shared storage from a Windows/Linux box either as NAS/NFS or iSCSI (open filer etc)

Some of the X9DRW cards support ESXi 5.x - so those drivers might work

CIM.gif

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support | OS Certification Matrix | SuperServer

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos