VMware Cloud Community
mamatrudo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI 4.1 Not detecting RAID 5 array

Hi All,

I'm trying to install ESXI on an HP ML350 G6. When I configure the array as a RAID 5, ESXI detects the logical drive, but shows 0 bytes available space and wont let me install it. If I reformat the array to a RAID 10, ESXI detects it perfectly. I really need to have this configured as a RAID 5. Any ideas? Thanks.

- Mike

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums -How large an array are you trying to create? VMware ESX and ESXi can only access arrays less then 2 TB in size -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums -How large an array are you trying to create? VMware ESX and ESXi can only access arrays less then 2 TB in size -

0 Kudos
mamatrudo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Weinstein5,

That is what's going on. The RAID 5 was about 2.7TB. The RAID 0 was about 1.7TB. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have 200 or 400 series Smart Array controller you should be able to use the Array Configuration Utility to break a single array into smaller virtual disks. If you don't have the BBWC module I would get it so you can enable write caching on the controller. It makes a big difference in performance. Don't enable writecaching with out the battery module installed. The ACU is a part of the Smartstart CD or available as a separate download form HP.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos