VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ESX4 to ESXi5 Upgrade Error

While adding the ESXi 5 image in Vsphere Update manaager 5 i am getting this error:-

Failed to Import Data.

The uploaded upgrade package cannot be used with vmware vsphere update manager

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Please check the version of update manager, if it is prior to 5 then you can't use it ot upgrade to vsphere 5, first you have tio upgrade VC, then update manager to vsphere 5, then ESX hosts to new version using the update manager5.

Regards

0 Kudos
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Update Manager Version is already 5. then what is the issue?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Can you please provide the version of both ESX host and Update manager, along with the version to which you are upgrading to. please provide information about which update you are trying to update to.

Regards

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

What is the image your trying to import is that "VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0-469512.x86_64"?..

Make sure you import the above ISO and the disk to which you import has enough space. Even if the image has a failed the integrity also the import will fail.

if you try to upload lower version of ISO also it will fail. Download a new ISO image of vsphere 5 and try to upload, it will work.

Also a alternative.

Login to vCenter go to Home--Solutions and Applications--Update Manager--Configuration Tab--Patch Download Settings--Click on the hyperlink that says "Import Patches". It will automatically download all teh available patches and image for the vsphere5. once done. create a baseline with the image to upgrade.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

update manager version is 5.0.0.8039 and esxi 5 host version is 5.0.0-469512 and esx 4 version to whom i am going to upgrade is 4.1.0-260247

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Did you try the other way.

I belive the vcenter is already upgraded. Update manager and vcenter are on the same server.

Also did you try to re downloaded the IMAGE and import.

Image your trying to upload is ESXi4 or ESXi5..

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You are right my vcenter and update manager is on the same machine. Already i have the downloaded image and i am trying to upload esxi5.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is there any solution of this?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Have you tried downloading the ESXI5 IMAGE again and importing to Update manager5./

I have tried importing the ESXi image to update manager and its working fine. with no issue. I suspect your issue to be with the image.Redownload a fresh ISO image and try importing to update manager it should work.

0 Kudos