VMware Cloud Community
CNenzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX4.0i to ESX4.0 Update 1 upgrade path?

The company I work for recently licensed Essentials and the license works with ESX 4.0 Update 1. I have one ESX 4.0i server which I'd rather upgrade than do a rebuild on. At the moment there are no VM's on the ESX 4.0i server and I can do either...

What is the procedure, if any, to perform an in place upgrade of ESX4.0i to ESX4.0 Update 1?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You will would need to do a fresh install, can't upgrade between those different versions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You will would need to do a fresh install, can't upgrade between those different versions.

0 Kudos
CNenzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That's alot clearer than the VMware Tech's reply to me Smiley Happy I'll get to the reinstall now.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's no upgrade path from ESXi to ESX. You need a fresh installation.

However, there's no need to move to ESX. You can run ESXi with the Essentials licenses too. Just replace the license key.

You can use the host update utility to update to the latest patches or - once in place - use the update manager in vCenter server.

André

jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good point.

0 Kudos
CNenzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre. I know I can manage ESXi with VCenter (I'm debating whether to run it as a VM or on a workstation class machine - i don't have a server I can install it on) but there are a few features that seem to be missing in ESXi vs. ESX. For example I'd like to install the Dell OMSA utility - I was able to do this in ESX but when I tried this some time ago in ESXi I ran into a few snags even after I hacked SSH support into it.

I'd like to get this done prior to deploying VCenter for the reason I mentioned above and also because I have a Hyper-V server that I need to migrate machines from and then rebuild as an ESX server. I then plan to Deploy the VCenter server and build the cluster. This is probably backwards from the normal way to do this but I have a few network infrastructure issues to overcome before I can setup the Heartbeat/VMotion network and I didn't want to wait until I'd checked that task off before making progress on the Hyper-V to ESX migration.

Am just trying to create a consistent platform for the ESX servers so if I get hit by a bus someone else doesn't have to figure out what you can and can't do with the servers in the cluster... Hope this helps make my desire to run ESX on this box clearer.

0 Kudos