VMware Cloud Community
Nishesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX Installation in a Virtual Machine : NIC Configuration

Hello

I have installed ESX 4.0 within a Virtual Machine within VMWorkstation 8.0

The Virtual Machine has been configured with 2 Virtual Network Adapters. ESX recognizes them as vmnic0 and vmnic1.

During the installation of ESX, I configured vmnic0 (or as i thought) with a Static IP and the other IP Parameters for configuring the service console port.

Post Installation

• I connected via VSphere Client onto the ESX Host and noticed that the default vSwitch0 was created and bound to vmnic0 for the Uplink.
  • vSwitch0 also has the default Virtual Machine Port Group and Service Console Port Group created.
  • Under the Service Console - vswif0 displays the static IP 192.168.181.21 that i configured during ESX Installation.
  • Performing an ifconfig directly on the ESX Console also shows that the Static IP has been associated with the vswif0.

Questions

1. Since vmnic0 is not showing any parameters at all - does this mean that the Physical NIC is not configured with any IP at all ?
  2. If the above is correct, does this mean when a Switch attempts to communicate with the Physical NIC, it is talking to the vswif0 Interface and using the Physical NIC only as a medium to communicate with it ?
  3. Under Network Adapters in the VSphere Client - vmnic0 comes up with "Observed IP ranges". What is this ?

Would appreciate some clarifications on the above.

Thank You

Nishesh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi..
i'll try to explain this kinda short..
1.  Yes.. That is correct. vmnics are "bridges" which doesn't carry any L3 info at all. A vmnic is just a physical resource ready for use.
2.  Correct. A vswif is a logical L3 interface which is used for host management. (Exists in ESX only, not in ESXi). vmKernel interfaces are L3 interfaces
     which are used for host ops like vMotion, host attached IP storage etc. depending on configuration and need...
     In ESXi, the "Service Console" is a vmKernel interface and is called Management Network.
3.  Observed IP ranges are incomming broadcast traffic seen by a vmnic, which can be used to give the admin a clue to which networks it is connected to.
Hope it makes sense..
/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi..
i'll try to explain this kinda short..
1.  Yes.. That is correct. vmnics are "bridges" which doesn't carry any L3 info at all. A vmnic is just a physical resource ready for use.
2.  Correct. A vswif is a logical L3 interface which is used for host management. (Exists in ESX only, not in ESXi). vmKernel interfaces are L3 interfaces
     which are used for host ops like vMotion, host attached IP storage etc. depending on configuration and need...
     In ESXi, the "Service Console" is a vmKernel interface and is called Management Network.
3.  Observed IP ranges are incomming broadcast traffic seen by a vmnic, which can be used to give the admin a clue to which networks it is connected to.
Hope it makes sense..
/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Nishesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Rubeck.

Your clarification has been helpful !

0 Kudos