VMware Cloud Community
FluxboxUK
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Hosts - Internet Downloads Corrupt

Morning all,

Iv been trying to set up a test ESX Server to play around with but seem to be hitting a strange issue, whatever OS (Windows) i install as a VM works fine, it can access the internet and download windows updates, and install them.

BUT

When i attempt to download any third party software (e.g. WinRar or AVG) the files somehow get corrupt, windows complains that the installer for AVG does not have a valid digital signature (and confirms this in the file properties).

I have tried installing a Windows XP VM also, and installing the AVG Free download, which does start installing, but downloads much of the installation from the web and only gets to around 98Mb before resetting for some reason.

I have downloaded the installer files onto a standalone laptop and copied them over a Windows share to the server, and although the laptop had no problem executing the installation the server complains about the file in exactly the same way it does if i download this off the net.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this, i was smacking my head off this for quite a few hours last night and got nowhere Smiley Sad

Thx in advance ...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FluxboxUK
Contributor
Contributor

Further playing around last night has confirmed that this is something to do with the network, if a downloaded installation file is pulled down on another computer, burned to a CD and then mounted to the VM, it executes fine...

Not sure where to look for more on this to be honest, the network settings within vSphere vClient seem to be simple enough, so not sure whats causing this issue...

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Whatever is causing this isn't VMware specific - you have a bad cable, switch or port somewhere in your network, or possibly a firewall/proxy thats corrupting things.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
FluxboxUK
Contributor
Contributor

Iv got 2 physical NIC's in the host.

1) Dual port broadcom card

2) Quad port Intel 1000 Pro card

Iv tried running the 2008 VM on both of the broadcom ports and one of the intel ones.

The broadcom card connects into a Netgear GB Switch then into a Draytek router

The Intel card connected straight into my Netgear Virgin router.

Its odd that the issue only affects downloads of files from the net that i initiate, as said, windows updates worked fine.

0 Kudos