VMware Cloud Community
eoghan30
Contributor
Contributor

ISSUE with Seeing Luns ESXI with MSA 2324i G2 Storage Array SAS

Hi,
  We are installing msa 2324i G2 sas storage array and 2 dl380 g7 servers in vmware cluster. Each server has the 2 x p411 array controllers to connect to the storage array i want to enable multipathing.

The Storage Array is built with vdisks and luns I have mapped the luns so every sas port on the array has read write access to all luns. The 4 hosts were autodiscovered no problem and they have explicit mappings read write to all luns.

We have built vmware with hp flavour esxi 4.1 update 1. The 2 p411 are picked up in the vmware esxi on each server.

I have connected both servers to the storage array. Only 1 p411 controller on 1 servers can see the luns. .
The other just do not show any paths to the storage array. I have tried multiple cabling scenerios but does not work i have tried plugging one of the non working controllers into every sas port on the array scan rescan does not work. I have tried deleting the hosts on the storage array and rediscovering I have tried rebuilding esxi not working.

The 4  x p411 controllers are dual controllers but until we get more sas cables we are just using one sas port on each controoler. If i dual cable up the working p411 i see multiple paths in vmware esxi.

Has anyone any ideas why this is not working for the other storage array.

Thks

Eoghan

UPDATE: The issue appeared  to be hardware compatability i rang hp and they could not find if the p411 were supported in this configuration they sent me 4  SCo8ge hbas and it worked. Just to confirm this is not msa 2324i it is the sas msa 2324 G2 SAS

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Usually when this happens, you need to enable LUN sharing (or VMware type of use). Really think HP (google maybe?) can help you on this one.

Marcelo Soares

Marcelo Soares
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to the ESXi 4 forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

Communities Moderator, VMware vExpert,

Author: VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security,VMware ESX and ESXi in the Enterprise 2nd Edition

Podcast: The Virtualization Security Podcast Resources: The Virtualization Bookshelf

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos