VMware Cloud Community
Saffanu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX/ESXi Behaviour with standard or free license on HW with more than 6 core

I'm wonderig what's happens if I run a ESX standard license on processor with more than 6 core.

For example after Installation of ESX on an OCTO-Core processor HW, what happens after insert a license key that is not Advanced or Enterpise Plus,

Could I run VM using only 6 of the 8 core? or the system prevent me for start any VM because of core limitation of my license?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The core limitation would be the license understanding the total of physical cores. that is different from the standard or free license which would give you 4 SMP (max 4 vCPU at one time).

If you're using non advance or enterprise plus, then the license would only see max 6 cores per processors and ignore the other 2 cores. You could still use your VM as usual. 😃

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The core limitation would be the license understanding the total of physical cores. that is different from the standard or free license which would give you 4 SMP (max 4 vCPU at one time).

If you're using non advance or enterprise plus, then the license would only see max 6 cores per processors and ignore the other 2 cores. You could still use your VM as usual. 😃

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I haven't had an opportunity to test this, but according to this you should be able to combine licenses to use all cores in the processor.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos