VMware Cloud Community
Guateton
Contributor
Contributor

Disk Not Available in My Computer

Hello,

I had 2 VM's with Microsoft Clustering sharing RDM disks.

These VM's run SQL 2008 (development) - and someone thought it would be a great idea to CLUSTER them (NOT ME) its development!!!.

My ultimate GOAL was to convert RDM disks into VMDK, which I accomplished by doing a cold migration to another hosts.

Instead of SHARING RDM disks, I was now sharing VMDKs.  But with Clustering in VMware (SCSI Bus Sharing) set to Virtual, there is no way to do snapshots or hot backups of the whole VM.

I can't brake cluster as it would require reinstalling SQL, blah, blah. 

So I set out to evict a NODE from the SQL cluster as to have ONE VM, and there would be no need for SCSI Bus Sharing set to virtual.

After I evicted 2nd SQL node, I removed the VMDKs and SCSI adapter, and power it OFF.  I then shutdown the 1 node left, and set SCSI Bus Sharing to NONE.

I booted into the VM and no disks mounted except OS disk?  I looked in Disk Management and the disks are there but OFFLINE and Reserved.  I went back and enabled SCSI Bus Sharing to Virtual, booted backup disks are there  and SQL was ONLINE.

How do I get rid of SCSI Bus Sharing?  Since its a single node, and no other boxes need access to those disks. 

Windows 2008 R2, SQL 2008, VMware 4.1 esxi.  please help I just need this to work for another 6 months.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Were these disks created in the first node and shared to second? If they were created on the node you are using, then they should work fine even after setting NONE on bus sharing.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Guateton
Contributor
Contributor

I created the disk by doing a cold migration from RDM disk to VDMKs and yep, on the first host.  I've tried re-adding disks, I've added disk on a single disk controller.

0 Kudos
Johan77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Guateton,

Did you solve this?

Have exactly the same problem.....

Cheers

Johan

0 Kudos