VMware Cloud Community
klancy43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Direct attach FC storage is supported?

excuse me, 

I'm thinking about connecting the FC storage to ESXi servers(which have 16Gb FC HBA card) directly, without any SAN switch or media, just cables.

the document https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-6029358F-8EE8-4143... didn't say that it's not supported.

So, can I assume that this scenario can be achieved and operates normally(with correct settings)?

Will the configuration be different from typically FC topology?(which has SAN switch)

does anyone have such experience?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michelkeus_stwg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is definitely supported. You can find supported hardware for this in the VMware Compatibility Guide.

Just have a look here: VMware Compatibility Guide - Storage/SAN 

Be sure to select Transport Type: FC and Array Test Configuration: Direct Attach to see supported hardware and configurations for your purpose. But the direct-attach configuration by itself is certainly supported.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

@klancy43,

Yes, it is fully supported, on small environment this is sometimes the selection to avoid the cost of acquiring SAN Switches, you can perfectly use it.

0 Kudos
michelkeus_stwg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is definitely supported. You can find supported hardware for this in the VMware Compatibility Guide.

Just have a look here: VMware Compatibility Guide - Storage/SAN 

Be sure to select Transport Type: FC and Array Test Configuration: Direct Attach to see supported hardware and configurations for your purpose. But the direct-attach configuration by itself is certainly supported.

e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.

you must validate that the fc storage  supports direct connection on the manufacturer's website or in the storage documentation.

you must also validate that the hba is supported by the storage.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos