VMware Cloud Community
Usuario00
Contributor
Contributor

Delete xxx-000001.vmdk

Hi! I have VMARE 4.1.. I have a big problem.

I'm going to change SAN.. One virtual Machine is old DATASTORE (Disk1 DataStore1 50GB, Disk2 DataStore2 60GB and Disk3 DataStore3 512GB), when I migrate VM to DataStore new, It say:

"the virtual machine has virtual disk in link-cloned mode that prevents migration"

I see in Manager Snapshots is empty. Browse DataStore1, I see:

xxxx-0000001.vmdk 13682000K (Size) and 52GB (provisioned)

xxxx.vmdk 52GB (Size)

I try take snapShot.. but I see "file <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore <unspecified filename>"

I add other DataStores and now I have tree DataStores of 1,5TB (older 800 + new 800).

My DataStore are VMFS3

I need migrate this VM.. This VM is production and I can't off now.

I think I'll take this:

Off VM

Remove Disk3 (512GB) (no delete)

Create Snapshot

I go Manager Snapshot, and DELETE ALL.

Add DISK3 and I check "Independent".

And.. migrate DataStore.

what you think? All thank!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi There,

I think there is no need for you to remove the HDD3 because with a powered off when you take a snapshot --- size of the snapshot will be only 16MB. As there is no chance of IO so the delta snapshot will not increase in size. Yes you should try taking a snapshot and then delete all

Also putty to host -- go to vm directory and do ls -lthr and paste the details

0 Kudos
Usuario00
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! Thx. I add file1.txt and picture.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

>>> "the virtual machine has virtual disk in link-cloned mode that prevents migration"

Is this VM the base of a clone? Please check the entries of the .vmsd file (or attach it to a reply post) to find out about this.

>>> I try take snapShot.. but I see "file <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore <unspecified filename>"

The reason for this could be the 512GB virtual disk. If the base datastore (i.e. the datastore on which the .vmx is stored) was created with a 2MB block size, the maximum virtual disk size possible is 508GB if you want to be able to create snapshots (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1012384).

André

0 Kudos
Usuario00
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! I send .vmsd.

VM is a machine of template.

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

Hi Usuario00,

Welcome to the community,

With the explanation provided - you are in one of below situations.

1)     Snapshots taken for the VM but not deleted gracefully - leftover delta files in the data store which got fixed in new version vSphere 5.x with the option - consolidate disk files

2)     Snapshot Backups ran against the VM and created multiple delta files and failed to delete the snap. As you have 512 GB disk which is most likely reason for giving such trouble.

file <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore <unspecified filename>"

What is the size of data store 3 where your 512 GB disk is located? What is the block size of data store 3? Also what is the block size of destination data store where you are trying to migrate.

I strongly recommend not to delete any disk files when they are linked by snapshot chains - it will cause permanent data loss

You need to browse the data store and copy the VMX file. Make a note of current virtual disk files and note them in your notepad. Once all the required details are captured then you can either use VMKFSTOOLS to clone the individual disk files with the chain of 32 at maximum. Check below article for more details.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102804...

Alternatively - If your customer agree for little data loss then identify the Parent disk file and create new VM with that file. Finally attach other two disks to new VM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos