VMware Cloud Community
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore Storage Views

I need some help troubleshooting or understanding the Datastore Storage View.   I had the following situation come up yesterday.  My Storage view of my datastores shows all green normal status.  each of the datastores shows a healthy percentage of free space - provisioned space is less than capacity.

However, one of my virtual machines stopped and presented a message "there is no more space for virtual disk /vmfs/volumes/{guid}/vmname/vmname.vmdk.  You might be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on the relevant volume, and clicking retry."

One question I have is how to find the GUID of my volumes - this VM has three Virtual drives on three seperate datastores (os, data, logs).  Each of the vmdks are named the same so without a guid to datastore conversion, I could not determine which virtual drive was the culprit. 

On my vcenter datastore view, all datastores were in great shape.  As this is a production environment and the server had to come back up, I deleted a server I no longer needed which had a similar drive setup on the same datastores.  After which the VM started.

But now I am left with the unsettling reality of not knowing what my actual available space is, and / or what space my VM's are seeing. 

Any help or insight into this issue would be appreciated.

Hosts, ESXi 4.1.0, 320137

vCenter - 4.1.0 build 258902

Datastores - iSCSI luns on EMC NX4

0 Kudos
0 Replies