VMware Cloud Community
ThomasTB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Copy VMDK, Then what

Hello,

I used FastSCP from Veeam to copy a VMDK file from an ESXi 3.5 host to a new ESXi 4.1 host.  All of that worked pretty good and I have the VMDK file on the new host.

What do I need to do now to bring up that client that I just copied over?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can create a new VM (Custom) using the wizard and "Use an existing virtual disk"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can create a new VM (Custom) using the wizard and "Use an existing virtual disk"

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... also make sure you copied both .vmdk files. The header (vmname.vmdk) as well as the data (vmname-flat.vmdk) file to the new host!

André

sakibpavel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just out of curiosity why did you only copy the VMDK file,  what about the other files in the directory.  if you have copied the full directory all you would have needed to do was navigate to the relevant folder in browse datastore and right click on the vmx file and select add to inventory.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
ThomasTB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey thanks for all of the responses...   And yes I did copy the folder and not just the VMDK file, sorry for the confusion.

Again thank you...

0 Kudos