VMware Cloud Community
MrPlumber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Auto Startup/Shutdown VMs on Power Loss

Hello! I know this has been covered before (and I've read those documents/threads/etc.), but I'm still having issues. Forgive my ignorance!

So far I've enabled it as so:

Capture1.PNG

But the VMs under "Automatic Startup" still aren't auto-starting. I then found that HA can be a factor (if it's enabled, you can't auto-startup/shutdown VMs). However, it's currently in a N/A state:

Capture2.PNG

Each VM has this same N/A state as well (and VM Tools are installed on all of them, if that matters). I also don't have any Clusters or anything listed under home, so I can't figure out where to truly disable HA:

Capture3.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peetz
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks like you are running ESXi 5.0 Update 1, and only in that build there was a bug that rendered VM autostart not working ...

Update to a later patch level of 5.0 (or better to 6.0?) to resolve the issue.

More info is here: vSphere Hypervisor Auto Start Bug Fixed - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
VaseemMohammed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which version are you running on?

Move the VMs from "Automatic" to "Any Order" click OK.

Go again into Start up and shutdown settings, move VMs to "Automatic"

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is this host part of a cluster within vCenter?  This setting is not supported in an HA Cluster. 

Automatic virtual machine startup and shutdown option is disabled/greyed out

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
MrPlumber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@VaseemMohammed

I'm running version 5

Capture4.PNG

I moved the VMs from "Automatic" to "Any Order", clicked OK, went back in and moved the back from "Any Order" to "Automatic" - unfortunately I'm unable to restart the host at this moment though.

0 Kudos
MrPlumber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@BenLiebowitz

It's currently in a N/A state:

Capture2.PNG

Each VM has this same N/A state as well (and VM Tools are installed on all of them, if that matters). I also don't have any Clusters or anything listed under home, so I can't figure out where to truly disable HA:

Capture3.PNG

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So, the server is not part of a vCenter server and in a cluster?  Doesn't matter what that field says, is it a stand along vSphere server or is it part of a vCenter cluster?

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
MrPlumber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@BenLiebowitz

Correct, it's a stand-alone server (not part of a cluster/vCenter)

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay, so then that isn't the issue.

Sorry, I haven't used the auto startup/shutdown feature in years as all my hosts have been part of HA Clusters since vSphere 3.

0 Kudos
MrPlumber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@BenLiebowitz

No apologies needed, I appreciate the help. But yes, this is why I asked in the first place - there's no vCenter/Cluster/HS going on, so I can't figure out why auto startup/shutdown isn't working correctly.

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Keep in mind that auto startup does not happen by design when maintenance mode is on.  As such, when you want the VMs to auto-start, the host should not be in maintenance mode prior to being rebooted or shutdown.  The reason for this is that sometimes you may want to do maintenance (i.e. replace system board, then confirm time sync before powering on VMs).  For this reason, maintenance mode prevents VMs from starting up.

0 Kudos
MrPlumber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@grasshopper

Good to know! However, we do not have maintenance mode on Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
MrPlumber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any thoughts on this? As I said, we don't have maintenance mode on

0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks like you are running ESXi 5.0 Update 1, and only in that build there was a bug that rendered VM autostart not working ...

Update to a later patch level of 5.0 (or better to 6.0?) to resolve the issue.

More info is here: vSphere Hypervisor Auto Start Bug Fixed - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
MrPlumber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That makes sense! I'll update to version 6 and report back

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Any update on the fix, did it work with the newer version?

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
MrPlumber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it! I upgraded to 5.0.0 build 1311175 (and updated vSphere Client to 5.0.0 build 1300600) and everything is working correctly now.