VMware Cloud Community
pp75
Contributor
Contributor

Atheros AR8171 / QCA8171 NIC driver ?

Hi everyone,

So i have a ASRock B85M-ITX mobo with this NIC but I've been unable to make the alx driver work on ESXi 5.x

The ioremap call fails and if I just try without remapping the driver loading fails as well

I was wondering if anyone had had luck with this ?

My kernel driver development skills are limited and i don't know why there should be such a problem with the VMKernel ?

I compared my source with sky2 (working vmkdriver) and alx (working linux kernel 3.13) and the source code up to the ioremap call.

They are very similar so i don't see why the error is here...

Anyone there experienced with this kind of dev ?

Anyone with a working driver ?

Any helps appreciated.

Pierre

PS 1 : i know it's not on the HCL but hey, this is a community question not a suport request 😉

PS 2 : adding a NIC is not an option (albeit the favourite reply here) as i have a single PCIe port which is used by a 8x SATA card

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lennyburns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you resolved this yet?

I am also desperate to build a server on a laptop i bought with RAID and 32GB RAM.  It has the AR8171 NIC and it isn't being recognized.

0 Kudos
pp75
Contributor
Contributor

yes and no

NO  it does not work on VMWare and with the choice to go "SDK for partners" by VMware and drop the Linux compatibility library, i decided to stop wasting my time

YES : it works fine on Xen 🙂  (but not on XenServer which is comparable with ESXi for the driver part)

0 Kudos