VMware Cloud Community
MichelleD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are updates cumulative?

I have an ESXi 6.7 u1 installation and I'm trying to resolve a problem of a VM not starting if a PCIe card is passed through to the VM.  I saw references to a fixed bug so I thought I would apply the latest ESXi update.

I see 6.7u3 is now available - can I apply that directly or must I appy 6.7u2 first?  (i.e. are updates cumulative)

NOTE: Upgrading to 7.0 is not an option at this time.  As well, I prefer to apply updates from the CLI in case that matters.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Updates are cumulative. However, in case you are running a vendor customized ESXi version, make sure that you use that vendors latest image for the update, as it usually includes additional/required drivers.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Short answer is YES. Updates are cumulative. Please go through the blog:

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/10/are-esxi-patches-cumulative.html#:~:text=In%20short%2C%20th....

Regards,

Sachchidanand

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Updates are cumulative. However, in case you are running a vendor customized ESXi version, make sure that you use that vendors latest image for the update, as it usually includes additional/required drivers.

André

0 Kudos
MichelleD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The overall OS isn't custom, but I did install a

vmware-storcli.vib

a few years ago to support my raid card.  Will I have to re-apply that? (Is it lost after the update)?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

AFAIK storcli is just a management tool, so you don't have to worry about it.

What you may want to do, is to verify that the installed version is compatible with the ESXi version/build that you are going to use. If a newer version of that tool is required, you may simply update/reinstall it.

André

0 Kudos