VMware Cloud Community
loganm
Contributor
Contributor

V2V additional drives and static IP manually tasks

Hi,

I'm working on a project where we are migrating from Hyper-V to VMware and we are using vCenter Converter Standalone. I have managed to set the default disktype to Thin by editing in the converter-worker.xml and it works fine and so does the entire conversion as such. But if my VM's contain multiple drives they come up as being offline once the VM is powered on. So the question is how do I get the drives to become online and keep the original drive letter without having to do it manually?

I'm doing cold migration and have managed to inject the VMXnet3 driver before migrating, so that when we migrate we can install the VMware tools from the beginning - but it seems that we still have to set the Static IP once the server comes up is there any way to avoid having to set the IP manually?

As we are going to migrate about 100 servers from the Hyper-V environment to VMware it would be nice to do as little as possible once the V2V conversion is done.

Thank you in advance for any tips n' tricks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
loganm
Contributor
Contributor

By the way it's Windows servers I'm migrating, mostly 2012R2 and 2016, but also some 2008 R2 and perhaps a few 2003 (auch) Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

i have done v2v from hyper-v to vmware last year for about 80 servers with vmware converter.

but after conversion the destination vm took all drives online automatically - there i had no doings

regarding ip-config: because the network adapter is new to the destination vm you must do ipconfig manually. the old nic from hyperv is replaced by the vmxnet3, so its a normal windows behaviour that thee new nic is unconfigured.

during conversion the hyperv integration services are uninstalled and you can choose the option to install vmware tools in the conversion task

0 Kudos
loganm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer!

I absolutely understand that we have to set the IP manually as we are changing the NIC.

I would also expect that the drives should become online automatically and I'm trying to fin out why thy don't. So far I have only done a test VM and the both disks are to be in the same location for both source and target.

Versions used:

vCenter Converter: 6.2

vCenter 6.7

ESXi: 6.7.0, 15160138

Hyper-V host: 2016

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

seems that it is a known issue : VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.2.0.1 Release Notes

(If you convert a source machine with Windows 2008 and above operating system, some disk(s) may be offline or read-only)

but i never had this issue with multiple disks

0 Kudos