VMware Cloud Community
ucm
Contributor
Contributor

Linux software RAID

I've just read release notes for VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0 Beta and I am very disappointed.

We have half of 2011 and still "Converter Standalone does not recognize source volumes that reside on Linux Software RAID configurations".

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

LVM is incredibly complex, and not commonly used in large enterprise deployments, to be honest.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
rcrcrc
Contributor
Contributor

OP is talking about Software RAID (md), not LVM.

Converter actually *supporst LVM* both as a source and destiantion (although I currently have a broken VM where the LVM conversion failed).

The issue is that Converter *still* doesn't support reading a simple software RAID.  We're not talking about replicating software RAID on the target, it's the simple matter of using scp to copy files from a filesystem that *happens* to reside on software RAID, into the helper VM.  It should be trivial, it's an exceedingly common use case, and it's not supported.  Still.

Our large enterprise deployment uses lots of LVM and has legacy software RAID in the lab; precisely the kinds of machines many users would wisely like to virtualize.

0 Kudos